Windows 7 still can't find the second hard drive...

fonebone

Solid State Member
Hi, again:

New computer build:

Gigabyte 970A-DS3P AM3+ DDR3
WD 1TB SATA lll Desktop Hardrive
Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA ll Desktop Hardrive
AMD FX 4300 PILEDRIVER 3.8GHZ QUAD CORE SOCKET AM3+ CPU
Gigabyte GV-N210SL-1GB GeForce 210 Graphics Card
Crucial CT51264BA160BJ 4GB DDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz x2
Alpine Blue 700W 38 AMP Single Rail PSU

It's been a long week... I finally have a fresh, new, install of Windows 7 on a new GPT formatted hardrive, everything running as sweet as you could wish for. No problems.

Problem: The second 250GB hardrive, previously used as an MBR formatted data backup drive, has so far not been recognised by Windows on this new computer since Day 1... I have today removed it and put it back in the old MBR computer and deleted all the volumes/partitions on it leaving just 'unallocated space' (data loss not a problem, there are other backups)...

I have now put it back into the new computer, BIOS doesn't see it (previously the BIOS used to recognise it OK) and on entering Windows 7 Disk Management that doesn't see it either...

I'm stuck again... Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Thanks for the reply, X7, but yes... that's how the partitions were deleted back to 'unallocated space'

..Yes, of course, that's what the fresh, new, install of Windows 7 is on...

Well... nothing to test out. There are two 100% functioning hard drives here. One is formatted with an MBR, the unrecognised drive in question, the other a GPT formatted hard drive running Windows 7 x64...

Relevant BIOS settings, as I see it, on entering Windows x64:

1) All frequencies, temperatures, sizes, etc, etc reported to be OK

2) Nothing overclocked

3) Just about everything set to Auto

4) SATA PORT 1 reports Not Present - This is where the drive in question is. (..Whereas before the MBR partitions were deleted down to the current 'unallocated space' it reported the drive OK, even though Windows didn't see it at all).

5) Boot Mode Selection - UEFI Only

6) Storage Boot Option Control - UEFI Only

7) Other PCI Device ROM Priority - UEFI OpROM

8) OnChip SAT Controller - Enabled

9) OnChip SATA Type - AHCI

10) SATA Hot Plug on PORT 0 through 5 - Disabled

11) SATA Power on PORT 0 through 5 - Enabled

Thanks for your time...

Hi carn...

I changed 5) to UEFI and Legacy
I changed 6) to UEFI First
I left 7) at UEFI OpROM

...No change on booting up to Windows

So...

I changed 5) to Legacy Only
I changed 6) to Legacy Only
I changed 7) to Legacy OpROM

Network Stack has always been Disabled, by the way
..& EHCI Hand-Off has always been on Disabled.

... So, all of a sudden on booting I have to "Choose an Operating System to Start" - Windows 7, the only one there...

... but No change in Windows Disk Management.. Still no sign of the second hard drive (I've even just had the sides off and checked all the cables are pressed home again )

Back
Top Bottom