I need help with my system...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
Hello! I'm new to these forums, and I'm hoping I can get help with my computer. Really, I'm not 100% sure WHAT the problem category (hardware, or software) is but here is what has been happening lately.

I recently (about 3 months ago) bought a Epox motherboard (Model: EP-8KHAL+, Via KT266) with a AMD Duron 1.2GHZ processor. I had no problems putting my new computer together, however once it was up and running I had some slight problems. I actually upgraded my older PC, with the new motherboard. All my hardware is working fine, nothing seems to be messed up. However, when I first booted my system I noticed severe LAG. I then decided, it's a new motherboard and CPU to format. I formatted my system, and for awhile it worked very good. I notice my CPU temperatures rising up to 120F, but that's not too bad.

On the average day, I was doing programming like I usually do, talking to my friends, surfing the web everything was fine. I went away for a few minutes, came back and noticed my computer was very laggy. My mouse was barely moving, so I restarted my computer. The boot time took atleast five minutes, and I tried it two times and it seemed to not work. I then insert my Microsoft Windows XP Professional CD and go into recovery console and do "chkdsk /p" and "fixboot". After I did that, I then booted up again and it worked fine, but it still had a very long boot time (5 minutes). I started up, entered my password (No one uses my computer except me, hehe) and when my desktop appeared, everything went slower then normal. Everything lagged, I could barely run two programs at once. So I figured a program was eating my memory (at the time, I had 256MB). I decided to format.

After I formatted, things were just fine. It was nice and fast again, so I didn't worry about the problem. After about two weeks, the SAME EXACT thing happens. I leave and come back and my system is laggy so I reboot. I then did the recovery console again from the Windows XP CD, and I get the long 5 minute boots and lag and unable to run multiple programs at once without lagging.

My computer specs:
CPU - AMD Duron 1.2GHZ
Motherboard - Epox EP-8KHAL+
RAM - 512MB DDR PC2100 Ram
Video - 128MB Radeon 9200 PRO
Harddrive 1 - 20 GIG Western Digital 5200 RPM - Main drive
Harddrive 2 - 80 GIG Maxtor 7200 RPM - Secondary drive
OS - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

I used to run Windows XP Professional Edition, however just last night I had a lot of lag and was forced to format once again. I have no software installed except Winamp, AIM, and all the Windows XP Home Edition updates.

One thing that I have done, a cord was hitting one of my cords and I had take off the CPU fan to move it out of my way to fix up the cords, and forgot to plug it back in. My system stayed on for about a hour with no CPU fan, and my system overheated. (my system went on standby and the CPU was shut off.) I shutdown my system as soon as I noticed it, and waited 10-15 minutes to try it again. My system was laggy, so I formatted. I had troubles formatting, so I installed Mandrake Linux 9.1 which ran really laggy. I removed my 80GIG harddrive (disconnected it), and the OS ran very fast when I booted up again. I then went on vacation for three weeks in Michigan.

When I returned from vacation, I formatted my system with Windows XP Professional Edition. I then reconnect my 80 gig harddrive, and get lag. I later install PartitionMagic 8.0 and when I start it, it finds incorrect partition table (something like that, I don't remember). It corrects it, my system no longer lags.

I haven't had a problem since, and now it's acting up again. I really need help, I don't know what to do. I'm currently not working since my job is kinda 'closed', because I'm the captain of a charter boat that my dad owns and it's getting engine repairs so I am not making any money right now. I want my last resort to be is get a new processor, but I'm not sure if it's a bad software, or my OS. I'd really hate to have to use Windows ME, 98, or 2000.

I also noticed when I scroll down in IE, or ANYTHING RELATED to IE the scrolling isn't smooth (Sorta like laggy, I can't really explain it). I always get this when I format, but it doesn't seem to be going away. :(

Please don't reply if you don't know, or you're just going to be rude. If you might be able to help, ask me any questions and I'll try to respond AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

I thank everyone who has took the time to read this long message, and another thanks to those who were able to help me.

I'm goint to take a shot in the dark here since I'm still pretty new to all this stuff, despite being A+ Certfied. If I were you, I'd try getting a different processor. You've got enough memory to run programs so I'm going to rule that out. You could try the AMD Athlon CPU. Mine works great.

On the other hand, it depends on if you have both hard drives on the same IDE channel. That can make your system run slower. Do you have both hard disks on the same IDE channel?

BTW this should probably go under hardware zone ;)

Thanks!

I know that when I disconnected my harddrive when I had Linux it suddenly stopped lagging, I'm wondering if its what you said, about them being on the same IDE channel.

Let me try to disconnect it, because right now it took just 10 minutes to load IE and I'm willing to do anything ;)

Some of the things I am encountering:
- unsmooth scrolling in IE
- Winamp SKIPPING
- Very slow loading time for programs

I'd like to let you see this image:
www.sidrahq.com/graph.jpg
That shows the CPU chart.
I don't think thats normal.

Ha, and the reason I posted here because I'm not really sure whats causing it so I guessed it was a OS/Software type thing ;) Oh well

Thanks a lot! :)

I disconnected my harddrive. Less laggy, actually it's a lot better. IE's scrolling is smooth now. But it's still not performing like it should.

However, there's a problem. I have 30 gig of files, and I really need that harddrive :(!

lol, i like your sig...,

anyway, your proccesor is a peice of crap so that actually might be normal (refering to the pic) whne your system is runing somewhat normal, get a benchmarking program, one that benched everything like, CPU, ram, HD, etc.. and match that up[ with other people if you have no clue what yoiur looking at.

If i was you....

replace RAM,
then install OS on seperat HD (or use ghost, it will take 15 minutes total)
ifd all that fails, then i would spend 70-150 bucks on a XP proccesor...

BTW, if you messed with overclocking, or were playing around in the bios... this is deff. somthing to look into.

Well I'm really stomped now.
I'm able to play a game, America's Army Operation. The requirements:
1.4GHZ
64MB video
256MB ram

I am able to play with about 25 fps outside and 50FPS.
Right now I am running in it the background, with NO PROBLEMS.

It seems to doing pretty good as of now.
I know my processor is crap, but I have AMD duron on my other computer and it's 700MHZ. That sucker runs like it's brand new, and its still running like it's brand new (except my dad uses it now, so I can kiss that goodbye :()

All my ram is new, I have two 256MB ram 2 of my 3 slots. I store files on my 80 gig harddrive, and I've already used Mandrake Linux and got same effect. Right now it's running fine, so I'm not complaining. I'm just not going to install Norton or anything but some development tools I need so I can atleast get some work done until I can find another job and make some more money.

When I do buy a new processor, I'm gunna sell my old one to some sucka.. heheh

I messed with overclocking ONCE and it caused a "no display problem" so I quickly reset my settings to default.

I think when it overheated, it did damage but not enough to kill it fully.

The graph I posted, heh, i don't think it's normal. Right now it's at a straight 100% (no kidding :X) but I have a game in the background.

I will continue to research this problem, and buy a new processor (Athlon XP). I do have another problem when it comes to that...

My motherboard book says:
"Socket A Compatible Amd ATHLON XP Prcoessor, 1500+ to 1800+, and 600MHZ to 1.4GHZ Amd Athlon and Amd Duron Processors
On the website, it says totally different... go to www.epox.com -> USA->Products->Motherboards->EP-8KHAL+ Under VIA KT266A->Manuals->Recommended processor List

Thanks

What should I get (I'd like to MAX it out)?

Thanks for your time and thanks for the help!

Here you go..

Just some quick info:
Yes my Windows XP Home Edition is legal.
My laptop runs Windows XP Professional Edition, which was installed on here it never lags....

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 127
Thank you! I will let you know what happens, I'll do everything you told me. Just today, it took about 15 minutes to startup. It showed XP screen for a long time, then showed just my desktop's wall paper for about 10 minutes. Then when it did finish, it took about another 5 minutes just to load IE.

I'm hoping your right, if not I'm going to be forced to go to another processor, I guess :(

Thank you very much, I will be posting the results.

I did the following:
Updated VIA 4 in 1 drivers from the Epox website.
Removed the Supra PCI 56k modem, I do not use it anyhow.
What do you mean by 'PSU'?
If you mean, Power Supply Unit (random guess ;))
I believe its 300 or 350.

Also, my CD-Rom Drive is rather old. It came from my 350MHZ Intel P2 NEC that died last year in December.. (most of my parts came from it). It's a DVD Drive. Could this be a problem?

Next thing I'm going to do is play my America's Army game, because my computer seems to like it. I'll play it before I have to format, since my time is limited. Next weekend I'm going on a camping trip for a full week.

I'll check back here tonight, thanks!

Another thing to check - you said that it works fine without the 80gig hard drive -- have you checked the jumper settings on both drives? The main drive should be set as master and the other should be set as slave. Also, I see that you have the 20gig 5400rpm drive as your main drive, the 80gig 7200rpm drive will give you better performance - you might want to put that as your main drive - it will make a bit of difference. Before you do that, go to Maxtor's website and download the powermax utility (http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm) - this will let you test the drive to make sure it doesn't have any problems. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom