Are these pieces of hardware good for gaming?

contraplex

Beta member
Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0HGz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor

16GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 Memory

2TB Hard Drive 7200RPM

Nvidia Deforce 970 GTX 4GB GDDR5 Video

Also what is the point of having a HDD and a SDD?
I see many set ups that include one HDD with a lot of storage and a SDD with very little

Also I'm kind of new to getting into the specs of things so any help is appreciated

If this machine is for gaming you can scrap the i7 for an i5 4690k and ditch 8GB of RAM.

I'm inclined to ask what motherboard and PSU you plan to use.

SSD is much quicker and makes the HDD seem like a snail. The only problem is $ per GB is more expensive and doesn't make sense for large storage like media tv/movies/music ect.

Keep the ram.. i want to upgrade my ram and I have 8gb.. and an i5 is cheaper and just as good for gaming as an i7... unless you want to moonlight that PC for video editing, 3d-modeling or graphics design then plunk the extra money into the i7.

SSD is much quicker and makes the HDD seem like a snail.
If your budget is tight allocate the cost of 8gb RAM, like PP said, into an SDD.. i already got an SDD and its true how blazing fast it is.. but overall it would be a smarter investment than 8gb additional RAM

Last edited:
If his machine is a gaming box he doesn't need more than 8. I have 16GB in my machine and never use more than 6 when I'm gaming. That's even usually while I'm recording. Since he put 'for gaming' in the title, I'm just straight assuming it's for gaming :lol:

Also what is the point of having a HDD and a SDD?
I see many set ups that include one HDD with a lot of storage and a SDD with very little

I have a small SDD that i use for my OS and essential programs like browser, steam, photoshop, ect (things i use most often). OS boot time is crazy fast and when I start the programs they are really fast too.

Mass storage is on HDD though because of the cost.

Keep the ram.. i want to upgrade my ram and I have 8gb..

If his machine is a gaming box he doesn't need more than 8. I have 16GB in my machine and never use more than 6 when I'm gaming. That's even usually while I'm recording. Since he put 'for gaming' in the title, I'm just straight assuming it's for gaming :lol:

Yea, would use that bit of money elsewhere if possible. I also have 16GB since I did quite a bit of 3D modeling, level designing, texturing, and lots of rendering in school. I never see it go past 6GB. Use the cash towards a small SSD for your OS instead. Kicked myself not getting it way back, got one that just came in the mail :3

Yea, would use that bit of money elsewhere if possible. I also have 16GB since I did quite a bit of 3D modeling, level designing, texturing, and lots of rendering in school. I never see it go past 6GB. Use the cash towards a small SSD for your OS instead. Kicked myself not getting it way back, got one that just came in the mail :3

What software did you use for 3d modeling?

I actually use photoshop CC for art so I don't know if that might be a ram hog or a reason to stick with an i7 vs and i5

btw thanks for all the responses, pretty informative ^_^

I actually use photoshop CC for art so I don't know if that might be a ram hog or a reason to stick with an i7 vs and i5

btw thanks for all the responses, pretty informative ^_^
If all you do is Photoshop then no, you don't need an i7 and a bigger SSD (250GB+) would suit you more for a fast scratch.

I actually recently downgraded my RAM size from 24GB to 16GB and here is what usage there is having 11 Chrome tabs, various other background nonsense, and a 4.3GB picture loaded in Photoshop CS6 will use (about 9GB). I doubt seriously you'll ever be working a file this big and I go back below 8GB when I close out of my unused Chrome tabs.

Attachments

• PS RAM 1.jpg
    PS RAM 1.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 4
  • PS RAM 2.jpg
    PS RAM 2.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom