Adding an IDE Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

MozzNJ

Beta member
I recently purchased a Dimension 4700 with a 160GB SATA HD and a DVD Drive.
The DVD Drive is at the end of the IDE cable with jumpers set to CS. I want to add a Western Digital WDC2500 IDE HD to the system. (NB: there is only one IDE slot in the system, so both the HD and DVD drive must be on this 1 cable, I think)

When both are placed in CS, with the DVD drive at the end of the cable and the HD at the middle, the HD is recognized but the DVD drive is not.

What is the best way to do this so that the jumpers and cables are set up properly, and the computer recognizes both drives?

Thanks in advance for your help!

on CS also called cable select. the farthest end drive will be treated as MASTER and middle drive will be treated as SLAVE.

although this should work fine as well, as enter into BIOS, and there might be option of Detect Drives. and it will automatically detect the drives.

also see, if you have properly inserted the DATA/POWER cables into hard drive.

if this doesnt work, there might be possibilities:

1: have you properly FORMAT your hard drive? (this means full format, rather than quick format, assuming that h/d is new)

2: thre coems 2 types of data cables, 1 called 80-conductore cable (has very thin lines) otehr called 40-conductor cable (has think lines), as 80-conductor can handle higher rate of datra trasnfers (100/133) therefore its recommended for hard-drives, and 40-conductor for optical drives as they have maximum data throughput of 33/66.

so change your cable as well to 80-conductor.

and lastly, rather using CS, force the detection, make jumper for H/D as Master and Jupers for DVD as slave. this will treat H/D as master and DVD as slave regardless where you have attached them.

problem still persists, consult the doctor :) - kidding

There should be 2 IDE chains, a Primary, and a Secondary. The primary chain should have two connectors on it, as should the secondary. In my opinion the primary chain should be used for hard drives, and the secondary for cd roms, dvd roms, burners etc. Now it is not true that the master is always at the end of the chain, i have an HP that is reversed. (the first thing on the chain is the master, and the last is slave, most cables are labled, especially store bought machines). Boot your machine up, and go into BIOS and you should see something like this:

Primary Master: (your Seagate should be detected here)
Primary Slave: None or Auto (make sure you set it to Auto)
Secondary Master: (your DVD rom should be detected here)
Secondary Slave: None or Auto (Make sure you set to Auto)

Once you do that, shut down, open your case and connect your WD to the Primary slave chain, making sure you set the jumper to CS (or slave if your primary hdd is set to master) connect your power cable and boot up. it should auto detect it. If you decide to connect it the chain with your dvd rom you will lose hdd performance everytime you're running a disc in your dvd drive.

on 80conductor cable the slave is on the middle connector.

on 40conductor cables the master is on the middle connector.

Primary+Secondary and Master+Slave are physically the same. It doesn't matter where you put your drives or atapi devices. It also doesn't matter where you put your OS. ALL modern IDE controllers support devices of different speeds on the same channel without slowing anything down. To avoid problems its better to put HD and CD-ROM on a different channel/cable though.

Putting them on the same cable should work fine. One device should be Master and the other device Slave, or configure both as CS=Cable select. Check Blind_Arrow's and rasputeena's posts.

I have the same kind of problem I got a 120 gig seagate for more storage. It is recognised in bios but not in windows. I have tryed cs and slave on the seagate makes no difference.
Also pc will not start in save mode as config file is missing what should I do

Having both on CS is not working. Neither drive is being picked up by the BIOS or WinXP.

I haven't found a way to turn on auto-detect, but I sense it's already on, since I get two beeps and "Primary Drive and Secondary Drive" not found messages.

follow blind arrow advice especially the last paragraph. Not all ide cable will work as cable select and a lot of systems won't recognize a hard that is a slave to an opical device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom