A question on All-In-One PC's.

Senor Gustard

Beta member
First off, i understand that an all-in-one is inferior to a desktop but this is my topic none the less.

I'm looking to use a Sony laptop to hook it up to an all-in-one and use the all-in-one as a monitor. My question is simply, is this possible? I have zero expertise in these machines so I am putting my trust in you.

If it is possible, how does one do it? Do most all-in-ones work the same way?

I'm new here, be kind.

Thank you.

It all depends on the model of the AIO. Sometimes they have inputs for external devices and most other times they don't so it all depends on the model in particular you're referring to.

Question, why are you looking at buying an AIO if you're just going to plug a laptop into it? That makes no sense.

Secondly, doesn't appear that the Lenovo linked has any inputs to do just that.

My boss. That's why. He wants to be able to use his laptop away from work, obviously, but also wants to put it onto a bigger screen when he gets in work.
"We can just get you a big basic monitor to to plug it into" I say.
"but what if there's an occasion I want to use a better machine instead of my laptop?" He replies.
"If you really want that we could get a desktop PC and that means you can switch between the two fairly easily."
Alas, instead of wasting your time with the silent argument i had with him, my boss is adamant he wants an AIO.

So what you're saying is that it's not possible with that model?

I hate it when boss's try to argue. It's like they hire you for an expert opinion and service on their IT/Technical equipment. When you say no it can't happen, they just need to take your word. It's a huge waste of time trying to please someone who doesn't understand. If you say it can't, that should really be it. I've lost a job because they didn't like the real life (non-avoidable) answers I gave them. They think because you are IT, that you must know EVERYTHING, and they always assume that you can fix it in a short amount of time because that's the way they want it.

I don't know your boss so I really don't know if this is applicable but just to warn you, you will never get ahead at a place that doesn't trust your decisions. You'll always hate your job if your boss tries to blame you for things that aren't in your control.

If that is applicable to you, apply to a different place because this guy will never get a good IT rep. if he just ends up arguing.

Please tell me how it went.

Back
Top Bottom