Computer Name Issue

jman87

Beta member
Hello Everyone,

So I have a dumb question (maybe it's not, I'm not sure). I accidentally (don't ask how) set up a computer and an "@" symbol ended up in the computer name. Later, the user said that they were not able to install software due to this error :sick:. Would this be an issue if there was an "@" symbol in the computer name?

Thanks!

Depends on the software and if it is trying to read the computer name and can't parse because of the @ symbol. I don't imagine why that would matter - but like I said, depends on the software in question trying to be installed.

Could definitely be. Some programs will auto fill the user field during installation with either the computer name or user name you setup during the OS installation. I can definitely see some programs not liking an @ symbol in the name.

If this is one of your users, just simply try to reinstall the software to see if it occurs again. If that's not a choice install the same OS and do the same thing you did with the @ symbol - then install that application to see if you get the same results.

Back
Top Bottom