90s Rig Project

Well I don't plan on running anything after 2000 (maybe besides Theif Metal Age). But it would be cool to get Unreal, Quake, Decent and of course the older Jedi Knight games and some of the other great shooters. Other than that I was just gonna try and expand my playing base to classics I never got to try.

I was like five years old when I played our original 98 PC, so I feel like I'm making up for lost time. Sure I could run some of those on revised steam versions, but I certainly couldn't do that on original copies. :rolleyes:

how about matrox graphics card. I remember they used to put them on sony desktops
and aureal vortex audio I love that sound card. had 3 brand new ones at one point laying around until windows just disabled the driver for it made it unuseable

This thread is making me think of what I have in the back of my pile of stuff, I KNOW I have a couple of old AGP systems and my old 3dfx Voodoo3 3500TV card with a whopping 16 megs of ram kicking around in a box someplace, Might even still have the original driver and box for it. HMMMMM Maybe see if I can get something put together once I figure out what I have

Well I don't plan on running anything after 2000 (maybe besides Theif Metal Age). But it would be cool to get Unreal, Quake, Decent and of course the older Jedi Knight games and some of the other great shooters. Other than that I was just gonna try and expand my playing base to classics I never got to try.

I was like five years old when I played our original 98 PC, so I feel like I'm making up for lost time. Sure I could run some of those on revised steam versions, but I certainly couldn't do that on original copies. :rolleyes:
3 games with acceleration for Voodoo cards. Kinda answers the question. Of course you could always have like a Geforce 2 or TNT2 and output that to a Voodoo 2.

This thread is making me think of what I have in the back of my pile of stuff, I KNOW I have a couple of old AGP systems and my old 3dfx Voodoo3 3500TV card with a whopping 16 megs of ram kicking around in a box someplace, Might even still have the original driver and box for it. HMMMMM Maybe see if I can get something put together once I figure out what I have
Don't use the original driver from the purple CD. Get the newest one off the net first.

This sounds like a fun project, Can I ask what are benefits of a build like this? Is it just for fun so you can browse the web etc on an old machine that runs top notch? or do you have something more fun and or interesting in mind?

That was pretty much answered in the beginning of this thread. The benefit is for pure enjoyment of older experiences and older games. Certain older games just simply won't run on newer OS's and a VM cannot emulate the hardware acceleration needed to get the full experience of some older games that cards like a Sound Blaster or Voodoo will provide.

I apologize, I did read the thread, I was just thinking there would be something else to go along with it. I guess as much of a cool project it would be, it's just not up my alley.

Back
Top Bottom