BIOS battery removal

Reading through those instructions.... So...if he doesn't have the BIOS password...and he's supposed to get into BIOS to be able to flash it... how's that gonna work? :p

You flash the bios via live windows with software, you don't need access to bios to flash it.

You flash the bios via live windows with software, you don't need access to bios to flash it.
It's locked...you can not access the pc w/o a password via the bios, flashing with a new bios will remove that password. It should be a self executing bios file on a cd disk
If the OP can not get a self executing bios file to run from a usb or cd disk then there not much else he can do :(

Last edited:
It's locked...you can not access the pc w/o a password via the bios, flashing with a new bios will remove that password. It should be a self executing bios file on a cd disk
If the OP can not get a self executing bios file to run from a usb or cd disk then there not much else he can do :(

Depends if its a BIOS password, or a boot password.

BIOS password will just lock the BIOS and prevent you from changing/viewing settings.

A boot password will require you to enter a password upon turning on the computer, preventing the OS from starting.

That's true...I assumed that it was a boot password but it could just be the bios password and the OP might be able to flash the bios from within windows

If it was just a bios password I have a feeling this thread wouldn't exist which is why I said it was shady to begin with.

I remember working on a Toshiba laptop back when I was in HS that had randomly gotten a password on it - it was apparently a known defect the laptops and the only way to fix it was to send it into Toshiba. So...either a) it's the same series of laptop, b) they didn't fix their issue from the old series of laptops, c) somebody put a password on it accidentally or forgot what it was or d) it's a stolen laptop.

I always assume the latter. Then again when I was younger I constantly had people bringing me stolen goods trying to pay me to bypass passwords.

Situation a) is why I kept the thread open - just because I've encountered it with Toshiba laptops personally.

Most people aren't aware that flashing a bios will remove the pw
That's true, but you need to do this without a post or boot option, so it need to be a self extracting bios file. The OP states he's locked out of the bios, but no mention of being locked out of Windows, so there's a possibility that this could be a questionable question from the OP

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom