BIOS battery removal

651patrol

Beta member
I'm thinking this is the right board to put this on but I'm having a serious issue with the cmos battery and being locked out of my bios via password. No one in my family knows anything about computers so no one knows the password. This is on a Toshiba E45t-B4204 and they are absolute useless at helping me locate the cmos battery. The real problem I'm having is that it doesn't have an actual battery so I'm guessing it's a chip set but I'm really lost because I've never ran into a computer that doesn't have an actual cmos battery. Thanks for any help you can give because no repair shop could help, they just said send it back to Toshiba.

Re: Not able to access bios today

I'm thinking this is the right board to put this on but I'm having a serious issue with the cmos battery and being locked out of my bios via password. No one in my family knows anything about computers so no one knows the password. This is on a Toshiba E45t-B4204 and they are absolute useless at helping me locate the cmos battery. The real problem I'm having is that it doesn't have an actual battery so I'm guessing it's a chip set but I'm really lost because I've never ran into a computer that doesn't have an actual cmos battery. Thanks for any help you can give because no repair shop could help, they just said send it back to Toshiba.

Most of the time in laptops the batteries are soldered onto the board, especially in consumer-level laptops. Plus, you'd most likely have to tear down the entire laptop to get to it if you're not able to readily see it under one of the access panels.

Re: Not able to access bios today

Most of the time in laptops the batteries are soldered onto the board, especially in consumer-level laptops. Plus, you'd most likely have to tear down the entire laptop to get to it if you're not able to readily see it under one of the access panels.

I've torn it completely apart even had other folks look at it thinking that maybe I missed something but then again it's hard to miss a battery sitting in front of you. In fact I have the motherboard in hand and have looked it over 20 times and still nothing, it's completely puzzling me. I've seen all types soldered in but there is absolutely nothing on this board that even comes close to a battery. I can't even determine the manufacturer by PN# of the motherboard, at a minimum if I knew that I could at least figure out something on it and whether they even make the part. This is the first time I've been stumped on a hardware issue but this one has me. From what little information Toshiba did give me is they would have to remove something that was soldered in but he wouldn't tell me what he would remove, it could be a chip set or a converter but I'm really lost.

Split your topic into a new thread.

My advice would be to send it into Toshiba then if you need it repaired - or buy a new mobo off of eBay.

You can re-flash the bios and that will fix the password lock, but you can only do this via a USB drive flash
There are more detailed guides out there on how to do this specifically for Toshiba laptops but It's been a few years since I did this and will have to do more research

You can re-flash the bios and that will fix the password lock, but you can only do this via a USB drive flash
There are more detailed guides out there on how to do this specifically for Toshiba laptops but It's been a few years since I did this and will have to do more research

I agree, Flash the bios but ONLY if you know what your doing.

Checking the Toshiba web site, there is an option to flash the bios with a cd rom drive too:
Be sure you have the correct bios before you attempt this procedure!
Package
WinRAR 32-bit self-extracting ZIP file includes both Windows-based and diskette based BIOS update installation options. See the included documentation for details.
Description:

Release Notes
For CD-ROM BIOS updates in Windows 8 models: (1) Shut down the system while pressing the SHIFT key to completely power off. (2) Power on while pressing F2 to enter the BIOS Setup Menu. (3) From the Security tab and set the "Secure Boot" setting to "Disabled". (4) From the Advanced tab, enter "System Configuration" and set the Boot Mode to "CSM Boot" if the option is available. (5) Press F10 to save and exit. (6) Boot from the BIOS CD-ROM then type UBIOS at the prompt. (7) After the BIOS update has completed, restore the BIOS settings that were changed.
For CD-ROM BIOS updates in Windows 7 models: Type UBIOS then press enter at the prompt.
For all updates: The BIOS update will force the computer to shut down or restart. Please make sure to save all work in progress before starting BIOS updates.
Power on the computer if it is off.
While the "TOSHIBA" logo is displayed, press the F2 function key to start BIOS Setup.
Check the version of BIOS and press the F9 function key then Enter to load setup defaults.
Press the F10 function key then Enter to save settings and exit. The computer will automatically reboot.

Last edited:
Checking the Toshiba web site, there is an option to flash the bios with a cd rom drive too:
Be sure you have the correct bios before you attempt this procedure!

Reading through those instructions.... So...if he doesn't have the BIOS password...and he's supposed to get into BIOS to be able to flash it... how's that gonna work? :p

That's my issue Carnagex, there is no way to change the boot sequence if you can't get into the bios to start with which would cancel out the suggestion of flashing the bios. Tech support did offer me one solution which they do for 256 which is change the bios chip out. If I could get ahold of a bio's chip that would be awesome and in fact he stated that there is no cmos period and everything is stored on the bios chip to include the password. I would honestly love to know how the p/w got there in the first place but that would be my law enforcement side speaking, at this point I'm guessing I'm stuck with a 256.00 bill and letting them replace it. Last Toshiba I'll ever buy and I've always been fond of them but after having this problem after 6 months is ridiculous.

If the OP has Windows 7, then you just pop in the cd disk and wait, the screen will remain black but if the cd light is blinking then it is working and installing the update. True in that this is a totally blind install but there is no other option short of sending the laptop in to Toshiba

Back
Top Bottom