Help with overclocking (HWDOCTOR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex81388

Daemon Poster
Okay.

So I updated the bios on my ( NF2SAED ) XFX Mach4 NVIDIA nForce 2 Ultra 400 Socket A ATX Mainboard.

Im running a Amd Athlon Socket A 2600+ 512cache Barton core.

Currently, the cpu runs at 1.92 ghz default.

When I updated the Bios, I got this new program installed, and you would expect by the image here...

shot1.jpg

You think you could manually enter the speed you want.

shot2.jpg

Well I did that, and chose save from the file menu.

That didn't work, because once I exited the program and opened it again it reset to the default value. I also tried messing with the load option. No luck in any fashion.

Heres another pick with Sandra04 in the background:

shot3.jpg

Also, there is no setting in the bois to change the speed of CPU. With the exception to bus speed, but we all no i cant mess with that, for there isn't a lock for the other buses.

Basically, there is no multiplier in the bios, and the program installed on bios flash wont function right, user-error oriented or not.

ANY SORT OF HELP would be greatly appreciated, especially if you have used this program.

You need to reboot, hold delete or f1 and manually change the multiplier, fsb and voltage. P.S. The admins don't like when you post extremely large pics like that.

Sorry about the size, downsized by 30%.

And as I said, i cannot change the multiplier in the bios.

Well that may be an issue... usually if it's locked it's locked. And you can change the fsb safely as long as you stay in the recommended range for agp and pci speeds. You wont get much of an overclock but it may help make your pc faster.

Well i tried going up ONE mhz in frequency, and i had to clear CMOS. So I guess I'm out of luck... :/

Okay, I did another update and now have options to mess witht he FSB, and the Memory frequency.

Last night I was able to run the cpu at 180mhz, that is from 166 (really meaning 333 i think). But, To do this, I also had to run the memory at '100%' of the fsb, because when I adjusted the fsb from 166, to 167mhz, without messing with the memory, it just gave me the black screen of death. Also, I received the black screen of death when I hit 184mhz.
FYI - I am using 256mb budget ram.

Sandra 04 ran a BurnIn scan 8 times overnight.

The results showed the CPU heating up from initially 43C, to 49.5C. That is on stock heatsink/fan.

So my question is this:

-If I want to go higher, is my next step to look for a better cooling heatsink, because at 184mhz it is too hot?

-Or should I be looking at better memory and purchasing some that will OC better.

-OR ( I hope ) is there a way to see if I can keep the memory lower, and still up the FSB, because the memory has percent indicators, like 60-70-80-100-120-130-140, ETC.

Either way, any help you guys can give is great.

I suggest putting money into a better mobo and a reasonably priced after-market heatsink... putting some time into lapping the bottom of the heatsink may give better results than dropping 10-20 dollars on a more expensive one, if you are looking for a mobo look at the nf7 nf7-s series boards... and good luck.

Thanks for the help. I also was wondering about the memory, I know since the cpu is 333, i need PC2700 Ram, but if im overclockling would it be wise to just get 3200 in anticipation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom