Want to install a new graphics card, but I'm intimidated.

14freya

Beta member
Ok, so I'm looking to install a new graphics card on my desktop. My computer is a Dell Optiplex 755, and the card I'm set on buying is the ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro 256mb. I know how to physically install the graphics card, but I'm clueless as to whether or not there's anything to do software-wise either before or after I install the card. Like, do I need to uninstall my other graphics driver first? Will that interfere? Or will I just be able to install the drivers for the new card as soon as I install it? Any help?

How to Install a New Graphics Card on Your Desktop Computer | Overstock.com

Choose a graphics card for your desktop computer. Check your user manual or look inside your computer to learn which type of expansion slot it uses. Your new graphics card should match the slot, or it won't fit. Typically, the video graphics card or slot will be labeled PCI, AVG or PCIe. Compare the video specifications for games and other programs with the specifications for the graphics cards you are considering. Use the recommended minimum on software system requirements as a guide for how much memory and processing speed your graphics card will need for games and video.

Heres the manual for your PC.

Prepare your desktop computer. Unplug your monitor, mouse, keyboard and other devices from the desktop computer tower. Leave the tower plugged into the surge protector. Lay the tower on its side and remove the cover. If possible, work on your desktop computer in a non-carpeted area to reduce static electricity.

Be sure you're aware of ESD and how to prevent discharge - a wrist strap is cheap way to prevent accidents.

Find a free expansion slot for the graphics card. If this is the first time you have removed the cover, you will probably see several free slots. You may need to remove an exterior slot cover to make room for the card. This will expose the connection ports on the graphics card to the back of the desktop computer. Remove the graphics card from its packaging, holding the video card by its edges. Never touch the sides of the video card or you may damage it with static electricity from your body. Press the graphics card gently but firmly into the expansion slot. If the graphics card requires an additional power supply, connect it now using the user manual provided with the card.

Install drivers and software for the graphics card. Plug your monitor, keyboard and mouse into the desktop computer and turn it on. Your graphics card usually comes with a CD for installing this software. If it's not included, you may need to download the software from the manufacturer's website. Consult your user manual to learn how.

Get drivers from the manufacturer - usually the drivers provided on the CD will get you going but the most recent drivers will be online.

Test your installed graphics card. After installing the graphics card software, you may need to unplug your monitor and plug it directly into the graphics card port in the newly exposed expansion slot. Follow instructions in your user manual to check your desktop computer settings. You should be able to check your computer's list of installed hardware to confirm the installation, usually labeled under display adapters. Play a high resolution video or game to test out your new graphics card settings. Adjust them according to your user manual.

Best guide I've found for beginners. Hope it helps.

Back
Top Bottom