Changing CPU!

Mare11

Baseband Member
Hello all! I recently changed my CPU I had Intel Celeron E3300 stock speed 2.5 Ghz and I bought used one Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 runing at stock speed of 2.66Ghz. I was concerned that processor would not be so powerful as it used to be because it's old like 5,6,7 years and I know over time it's losing power because of heat .
So I tested it on PassMark bench test for CPU . I got score around 3k(first time i tested I got around 2.7k in later tests score incresed to little less then 3k) and score on site avg for this processor was 3429 . I were testing it on windows 8.1 32bit with only 2.5 GB of ram and on PassMark softwere version 11 . I saw that tests on this processor were done on earlier versions like 7 and 8 because it's really old processor . Also after some research I found out that 64bit processor on 64bit OS will always have best score.

My question : Is there room for me to be upset ? Did he really lose so much power over year ?

Thanks for reading!

Re: Chaning CPU!

I know but they took over 1000 samples of processor with different setups and they mixed 64bit os and 32bit os and number 3429 stands as avg for all those testings .

Re: Chaning CPU!

Do you have any idea how should I test my processor then ? I can't test it in gaming because I got really poor graphic card which is making bottleneck on all games .

Counter question, why does it matter?

The only thing that could be happening is you might be throttling due to heat but if that is the case it isn't by much. I suggest cleaning and repasting your processor then maybe retest. Use the standalone version of Coretemp to monitor your temps. If you don't go above 75c you're fine.

A good CPU benchmark is Cinebench.

If it's not heat then it would still be system configuration.

I want to be sure how much is my processor powerful. I guess I will see it when I upgrade with new graphic card and more ram then start playing games. I monitored my CPU on Aida 64 Extreme I run a strees test for like 15mins and max Temp was 69 on first core which was the hottest .

I guess there no need to be concern thanks for advice!

Well min req for Gta 5 is Q6600 and mine is Q9400 which is around 15% more powerful.
I saw people run BF4 with Q6600 at decent settings and frame rates and some other games like Watchs Dogs and Shadow of Mordor plus I am using res of 1440x900 native of my monitor so I guess with some good graphic card I will menage to run all games atlest on low with 40+ fps .

Last edited:
The Q9400 isn't 15% more powerful, it's on a smaller node. I'd say 5-7% if that and runs cooler. It also has less cache than the Q6600 and can't OC as well (for some odd reason). In those days the CPU to have was the Q9550, and even then one of those overclocked isn't up to 'par' today.

You'd need a good GPU to push decent frames in BF4 like a GTX 960 or better and even then the CPU will still be holding you back, more so since you run a lower resolution.

Back
Top Bottom