90s Rig Project

His case would be fine with something like a Voodoo 3 2000.

The only 2D and 3D cards would be Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2 that were "mainstream" in that era. You don't need a huge case for these setups, but a Voodoo 3 is 2D and 3D all in one, as is anything above it.

To give you an idea of how much room you need, this case is smaller than the Dell case Joe has and I have my SIS 2D card and Voodoo 2 SLI along with a SB Live! Value. This was my first PC with some upgrades.

V2SLI.jpg~original

Welcome back! I can't understand why all the hate for ME. I never personally had many problems with it compared to 98se.

I must say I can't remember what exactly I didn't like at. I just remember the feeling of horror when I encountered a machine with problems and saw that it was running Windows ME.

Maybe part of it was that most of the computers I encountered that did have ME installed were not very good in the first place, and their owners were not very knowledgable buyers/users.

I must say I can't remember what exactly I didn't like at. I just remember the feeling of horror when I encountered a machine with problems and saw that it was running Windows ME.

Maybe part of it was that most of the computers I encountered that did have ME installed were not very good in the first place, and their owners were not very knowledgable buyers/users.
Most people back then weren't knowledgeable about PCs period. ME ran decently for me, albeit it had it's own flaws but Vista IMO was much worse of an experience.

LOL...ya, uh...spacious inside!
did I say APG???....I lied.
Notice special proprietary Dell PSU

4SKgRDt.jpg
Could always rig an SFX unit in there no prob, but if it has no AGP slot I wouldn't do it. Up to OP though.

Oh, it doesn't have an AGP? I actually find the Dimmension desktop cases really interesting but man I've never seen a PSU mounted like that before. My thing big gripe was the sparse drive bays cause I was actually really considering RAID 0 as mentioned by PP Mguire.

But if it doesn't have an AGP that would be the kicker for me. Was wanting to try and fit it with a good GPU. I tossed up that one ATX case someone suggested but it is a mini and if I was gonna straight up buy one it would be great to get one with a bit more extra room if possible.

See the thing that gets me (having not actually built a unit from scratch) is knowing what mobo and equipment actually fit what case? I had a heck of a time just finding the right size for a PSU upgrade on my old Dimension 4550. Ohhhh man that case was a nightmare since it split open on a hinge, instead of a simple panel that removes instead.

So yeah, I guess just starting with a nailing a solid case and and going from there? Preferences on something more new/less used condition wise. Otherwise I'm really not too picky on the aesthetics.

If you don't mind paying a little bit more you could skip the BS and just get a Corsair 200r and a Corsair CX430.

It is really spacious is that one you use or a different one? Just outta my nostalgia I pulled up another one of the beige cases but I tried to aim for a mid tower that seemed right. What's the verdict on this one? I thought it was a step up from the last one I found and fits the style to the time period... 2 x 11 Bay ATX Case's w 300W Power Supply'S | eBay

It's also a tiny bit less expensive than the Corsair but I think the form factor is about right I think.

Well only thing is all the ATX cases I want (the new ones anyway) all have a basic PSU. These cases cost close to nothing though, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if all I had to do is swap the PSUs out.

Still debating what kinda mobo to put in it. I'm not crazy about getting any really late series. One thing I am debating is whether I want a Voodoo or an Nvidia. Someone had told me get a TNT 2, and there are actually a couple places that still have some new ones sitting around for a low price.

ARGH! All the decisions lol :confused:

Back
Top Bottom