SAS controller for use with LTO-4 Tape drive?

As for the Faraday Cage... you know that those ARE actively used right? XD

Yeah I know they're actively used lol; that's why I mentioned it :p. And I also know they're pretty easy to build yourself, depending on the size.

Well if they are in active use, a good HVAC system and plenty of fans...? I have had drive temps exceed 55C for WD disks in the past and nothing seriously bad happened long-term. Whine from disks is usually from the bearings and fluid around them. Wait, why is your room getting that freaking cold? XD

If they are in "cold" (not turned on, just sitting) storage, most disks can handle -40C to 80C from what few warranty and spec sheets I have read.

As for the Faraday Cage... you know that those ARE actively used right? XD

Come visit georgia right now when the temps get low and you'll see why. :)
That and my mother refuses to turn on the heat, she refuses to pay the high gas bill.
So a little heater, oven on for a very little time, yeah I'm great. >_>
So yeah if the temps get that low my drives do whine if they aren't warm enough.
If money isn't an issue by the weekend, I am buying a new case. :/

Could just leave it on...? That will let the little bit of lubrication the bearings have stay warm and fluid like...

Leave what on ? the little mini heater or the oven ?
Eitherway both chew up the electricity so anyway you look at it for staying warm.
Your gonna get screwed by the gas or the eletric bill, especially when money doesn't keep coming for free.
We're not talking about me, so lets just keep this targetted at the ops needs.

Thats why I wanted to ask you about it first, I'll pm lex luther and see what he thinks.

Sounds to me like the company is trying to cheap out on storage. Honestly if the data is THAT important that you must save it, you need to either purchase an enterprise class storage system (Tape or other) and it needs to be setup in a good environment with proper procedures and processes followed to ensure your media isn't corrupted.

Maybe i missed it - but why were we going with that specific model that specifically requires a SAS cable? My guess is price as most quality ones will run well over 1,000.

IMO you need to purchase a quality system with a SAS connector or purchase a specific system just for tape.

We basically need storage to hold us over until these come out the 1tb version. I came into work today but no one was here to ask so I will ask them based on what you guys mentioned here tomorrow

Sony, Panasonic develop 300GB to 1TB 'Archival Disc' for 50 year-plus storage | PCWorld

As stated in my first post the model of tape drive we are looking at is XW272 DELL LTO-4 EXTERNAL TAPE DRIVE we found a place online selling refurbished for 600$

Last edited:
You really shouldn't be hanging around for 1TB Blu-Ray disks. If you guys need a backup solution now, then do it right, with the right equipment, don't half-ass it. 1TB Blu-rays are a long ways away, 300GB are POSSIBLY this year. But heres the kicker, your Blu-Ray drive MUST be capable of supporting those, and I am willing to bet none on the market currently do. The ones that will support those 300GB and 1TB disks will be VERY costly when they DO come out.

Lex has far more experience than most people here when it comes to SMB and higher equipment, so listen to him when he says.
IMO you need to purchase a quality system with a SAS connector or purchase a specific system just for tape.
and
Honestly if the data is THAT important that you must save it, you need to either purchase an enterprise class storage system (Tape or other) and it needs to be setup in a good environment with proper procedures and processes followed to ensure your media isn't corrupted.

And guess what, you have to be even MORE careful with optical media, because while magnetic fields don't really bother it any, just about everything in a regular environment can and will destroy burnable optical media.

Last edited:
I also meant to add - i'm not sure of your current infrastructure but you can purchase inexpensive lower end mass storage devices for under 100k. I know - expensive but if you really want to keep this stuff you need to find a better solution IMO than swapping out DVD's. Either purchase a true tape system (which will be expensive) or purchase a lower-end disk array.

I mean you work for a school, so surely you guys have some type of SAN array you are storing live documents, virtual machines, file shares, ect. So there is some sort of budget there for storage. Not sure what you use but most mid level SAN array's will run you well over 100k which i'm sure your boss will choke on if you guys are bending over backwards to use an old tape system that uses a SAS cable (which is fine but if you are unwilling to purchase a server to connect the cable to i'm sure money is an issue).

If it were me, I would suggest purchasing a refurbished MD storage array from Dell. With an R620 or even alter model rack mount server (which would run you roughly 3k) and some MD1000 enclosures you can solve your storage solution right there. Alternatively you can upsell it as a location to store other files as well. Yes that solution will cost you around 35 to 45k depending on what you go with, but you will be providing your business enterprise class storage at a SMB price. You could also purchase a new Equallogic for around that same price. I see some only arrays running about 20k for 40 TB of disk space. This provides data fault protection in an array format that is expandable.

We use MD arrays' for archiving purposes. We have a Dell Compellent for our primary storage and use MD arrays and Dell Equallogic's for archive items that don't need to be on extremely expensive disk.

Back
Top Bottom