USB Stuck on read-only after format

zaka100

W͂Oͨ̍̍̒̈́͛̕
hello, I just formatted my usb and I cant access it, if I open it in explorer, i get the error:
http://i58.tinypic.com/2mxecxz.png

If i try to re-format it, it says the usb is read only. If i try to untick read-only in the drive properties, I cant because there is no option. There is no switch on my usb that turns off read only. On DISKPART, it says my usb is physically read-only!!! I dont understand this because it wasn't read only before!!!:silent:

Any help???

Try GParted and see if you can format it as Fat32 that way.

If GParted doesn't work, then could be that the flash drive is dying and turned itself to read-only mode if it hit its write limit.

If Gparted fails, you can also go down the old route and use Diskpart, I prefer using that to format sticks

hello, I just formatted my usb and I cant access it, if I open it in explorer, i get the error:
http://i58.tinypic.com/2mxecxz.png

If i try to re-format it, it says the usb is read only. If i try to untick read-only in the drive properties, I cant because there is no option. There is no switch on my usb that turns off read only. On DISKPART, it says my usb is physically read-only!!! I dont understand this because it wasn't read only before!!!:silent:

Any help???

Take your usb drive to another computer, one that has windows 7 already on it.
Plug in the usb drive and go to my computer.
If it shows up. Right click on the drive, choose tools, now click on error drive checking.
Let it scan it for abit, if finds a problem, have it fixed it.
Once done double click the drive and see if it'll open up.
Now format it with Fat32 full format, should take less than 15 minutes.
After that it should work fine, if it starts up again depending on how old the drive is and how often you use it.
It maybe on its way to die eventually, had a few drives do that to me off and on.

Last edited:
Take your usb drive to another computer, one that has windows 7 already on it.
Plug in the usb drive and go to my computer.
If it shows up. Right click on the drive, choose tools, now click on error drive checking.
Let it scan it for abit, if finds a problem, have it fixed it.
Once done double click the drive and see if it'll open up.
Now format it with Fat32 full format, should take less than 15 minutes.
After that it should work fine, if it starts up again depending on how old the drive is and how often you use it.
It maybe on its way to die eventually, had a few drives do that to me off and on.

I tried that, it just shows the same error as i posted.

Back
Top Bottom