RAM upgrading (speed) & a question about Sony

I maybe getting my terms mixed up then.

But if I am running a music program like Traktor and and I am getting signal spikes and drop out at the same time as being shown by the software that laptop is being overworked, then surely upgrades are required.

Or having carrried out a CClean and defrag, its time to reinstall :eek:

Thanks all
In music latency refers to the amount of time it takes to make the note and sing the note through your speakers. For instance when I play my electric drums through midi to USB which triggers sound software that goes through my sound card I usually have a latency (ms ping) of 25. That is while using ASIO drivers for the lowest latency I can get. That doesn't really have anything to do with my CPU or RAM. It's all in how fast my drums can communicate through USB and my sound card to produce a sound. That is latency.

Now, how is the software showing the laptop is being overworked? You haven't exactly elaborated your situation that much so before you go wasting money I'd make sure first it's RAM and not something else. Show screenshots if you will.

In music latency refers to the amount of time it takes to make the note and sing the note through your speakers. For instance when I play my electric drums through midi to USB which triggers sound software that goes through my sound card I usually have a latency (ms ping) of 25. That is while using ASIO drivers for the lowest latency I can get. That doesn't really have anything to do with my CPU or RAM. It's all in how fast my drums can communicate through USB and my sound card to produce a sound. That is latency.

Now, how is the software showing the laptop is being overworked? You haven't exactly elaborated your situation that much so before you go wasting money I'd make sure first it's RAM and not something else. Show screenshots if you will.

Ok, thanks buddy.

Right so, Traktor Scratch Pro 2 or any Traktor version for that matter, has a small bar at the top which refreshes multiple times a second. It shows you the amount of 'work' your laptop is doing. It changes rapidly filling the bar and lowerining the bar as your computer works harder or less so. It considers background tasks as well. The signal/sound will click or become interrupted when the bar is sufficiently high. Not to be confused with clipping, this is not a volume bar. It is best demonstrated when you turn off a network adapter, which has the effect of lowering the bar slightly, presumably since processing power is no longer being used to run the adapters: wifi etc. In actual fact it says CPU next it, which i notice as i write.

Mine seems to be quite high. 75% of the time traktor runs fine, but i do suffer from signal drop out when the bar gets high. It ruins mixes basically.

Have i just answered my own question?

Thanks for your on going counselling on this.

Last edited:
I have found that most audio production software doesn't accurately depict CPU usage but if that's the case then your CPU would be the culprit. That i5 is only a dual core. Make sure you shut down absolutely everything else in the background and try it. If it's still an issue then you need a new laptop or desktop.

Back
Top Bottom