wifi to original xbox 360

dirtautoguy

Beta member
I hope this is ok to post on here but i am hoping that someone can help.

I have a original white xbox 360 without any wifi. I recently moved and dont have the luxery of a handy ethernet hook up any more. I want to keep my xbox up to date as best as I can. I am not a huge gamer but i enjoy it occasionaly.

I bought a iogear universal wifi n adapter that looks like this

IOGEAR - GWU627 - Universal Wi-Fi N Adapter - Ethernet to Wi-Fi N | Wireless Ethernet | WiFi Ethernet

from my understanding i should be able to plug the ethernet into the xbox and press the wps button on the wifi adapter and on the router and they should connect. I have tried that and it is not working is there something i am missing or are there any thoughts or ideas you guys might have? i really appreciate any help I can get

I have a original white xbox 360 without any wifi. I recently moved and dont have the luxery of a handy ethernet hook up any more. I want to keep my xbox up to date as best as I can. I am not a huge gamer but i enjoy it occasionaly.

IOGEAR - GWU627 - Universal Wi-Fi N Adapter - Ethernet to Wi-Fi N | Wireless Ethernet | WiFi Ethernet

from my understanding i should be able to plug the ethernet into the xbox and press the wps button on the wifi adapter and on the router and they should connect. I have tried that and it is not working is there something i am missing or are there any thoughts or ideas you guys might have? i really appreciate any help I can get

Find the mac address for your xbox360, the configuration setup should have this.
Next you ask the person who manages the router to add in your mac address and trouble shoot with you.

Long as the router can identify you and accept authorized connection there really shouldn't be a problem.

Find the mac address for your xbox360, the configuration setup should have this.
Next you ask the person who manages the router to add in your mac address and trouble shoot with you.

Long as the router can identify you and accept authorized connection there really shouldn't be a problem.
This advice is only going to be relevant if MAC filtering is enabled on the router - otherwise it's not going to matter.

Did you follow the setup instructions according to the manual on page 8?

If the WPS setup isn't working, then try setting it up manually according to the manual...go to page 37:
http://www.iogear.com/support/manual/GWU627_Manual.pdf

This advice is only going to be relevant if MAC filtering is enabled on the router - otherwise it's not going to matter.
Did you follow the setup instructions according to the manual on page 8?

Did you read page 38 yet ? :/

@dirt just follow through with my advice you should have it up and running soon.

Did you read page 38 yet ? :/

@dirt just follow through with my advice you should have it up and running soon.

Yes I did; apparently you didn't though.

There is no mention of "adding your MAC address to the router" in the manual. And like I said...unless the router is setup for MAC filtering (they aren't by default) then your advice is irrelevant because it will require OP to enable MAC filtering to even enter a MAC to add to the whitelist (as well as ALL of his machines). Stop trying to start arguments please.

Yes I did; apparently you didn't though.

There is no mention of "adding your MAC address to the router" in the manual. And like I said...unless the router is setup for MAC filtering (they aren't by default) then your advice is irrelevant because it will require OP to enable MAC filtering to even enter a MAC to add to the whitelist (as well as ALL of his machines). Stop trying to start arguments please.

Never was trying to argue with you and for the record you have a nasty attitude with me currently. :|
Only reason why I asked you if you read page 38.
Because he would indeed need to get his adapter and xbox360 mac addresses into the router.
Also I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to enable mac filtering even it was on and ready to go.

Then he could follow through with your advice.

Never was trying to argue with you and for the record you have a nasty attitude with me currently. :|
That's because you always have a nasty attitude with me :rolleyes:

Only reason why I asked you if you read page 38.
Because he would indeed need to get his adapter and xbox360 mac addresses into the router.
Also I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to enable mac filtering even it was on and ready to go.

Then he could follow through with your advice.

Enabling MAC filtering now would just add another layer to try and get it working - not necessarily help solve the issue. Start out with the basics first and then once everything is working increase security.

MAC addresses aren't required anywhere in the setup for this device. The steps on page 38 show setting the wifi adapter up manually - adding the SSID/encryption type/password to the unit which allows it to connect to the router wirelessly, then passes that through the ethernet port. This is basically just a wireless repeater.

There isn't any requirement to log into the router at all with this device (unless you ALREADY have MAC filtering enabled).

Speak with trotter about the issue carnage and let him decide who is right and wrong.

Like I said awhile back last year I'm not going through this debate and argument process with you.

Speak with trotter about the issue carnage and let him decide who is right and wrong.

Like I said awhile back last year I'm not going through this debate and argument process with you.

Erm...Trotter has nothing to do with this, unless he makes the IOGear product OP posted about ;). I'm giving suggestions based on the documentation / basic setup of repeaters and network devices. You're coming way out of left field with suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom