RAM upgrading (speed) & a question about Sony

benfinden

Solid State Member
Hi guys.

Hope you can help.

Looking to upgrade my DDR3 1066Mhz PC3-12800 1.35V RAM. Currently I have 6gb in two slots as supplied when i purchased the laptop.

1. Did I buy bullsh1t when they sold me a 4gb and 2gb sticks??? Surely they should be the same? (or if, as they are, both 1066Mhz modules, this doesnt matter?)

2. If i want to upgrade to my maximum allowed 8gb Ram, what are the rules around the speed? Can i buy 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.35V @ 1600Mhz? or does it have to be 1066MHz again.

Sorry if this question has already been asked before.

Regards

Ben

What's the model of your laptop?

********? No. It's perfectly fine the way it is.

Speed? Depends on the laptop in question. If you bought 2x4GB of 1600 if the laptop doesn't support the speed it'll just drop to the highest speed supported.

Sorry PP McGuire. I clearly don't make enough sense.

The reason for my question is that I have found it very hard to find 3gb ram modules and have also read that module should be identical for optimal performance. therefor with 6gb in 2 modules that I cant seem to find anywhere, I am assuming Sony have installed 4gb + 2gb which I assume again is not optimal.

I then ask if this matters and if so, what attributes of the apir need to be identical and which don't.

Sony Vaio VPCEA25CA
i5-M520

Then I called it speed. Sorry if that is wrong. We are not all jargon maestros.
I just linked speed with Mhz.

odds are it is a 4GB and a 2 GB, Having 2 the same will run in duel channel but if it's not it won't be a huge difference or you might not even notice it at all. I've seen a lot of pre built like that too. Best to buy a duel channel kits so the ram is matched to each other. Even if you buy another 4 gig to match the one that's in there there is no sure bet it will be running duel channel. The slight differences when there made could be enough that they run slightly different speeds (there rated with a =/- tolerance) and if the two are on opposite sides of the tolerance then no duel channel but like I said, You really won't notice.

Dauntae

Like I had already said before, it's perfectly fine. You're still running in dual channel and it's not hurting your performance at all. I have 3 different brands of RAM, 3 different speeds, and 3 different sizes in my server and it's running in dual channel 1333MHz just fine with no loss of performance. If you bought another 4GB of RAM to add to the 4GB you have now odds are you won't notice any difference at all except you have more RAM in your system.

Like I had already said before, it's perfectly fine. You're still running in dual channel and it's not hurting your performance at all. I have 3 different brands of RAM, 3 different speeds, and 3 different sizes in my server and it's running in dual channel 1333MHz just fine with no loss of performance. If you bought another 4GB of RAM to add to the 4GB you have now odds are you won't notice any difference at all except you have more RAM in your system.

Nice one. But all things said and done, more ram is good right? I want to traktor and midi devices with as low latency St possible.. Was thinking ram upgrade and ssd upgrade.

Thanks again

Latency depends more on the dependent devices than RAM or HDD. Things like USB controllers and audio devices.

I maybe getting my terms mixed up then.

But if I am running a music program like Traktor and and I am getting signal spikes and drop out at the same time as being shown by the software that laptop is being overworked, then surely upgrades are required.

Or having carrried out a CClean and defrag, its time to reinstall :eek:

Thanks all

Back
Top Bottom