Is it worth it?

Gabis1207

Awkward moment when...
Currently, my desktop PC is running great on its quad-core A10. I'm performance-hungry, though, and I would love to have something a little bit faster, to keep my PC ahead of the curve, so I put together a part list on PCPartPicker (because I like to do that stuff in my free time. Don't judge.), where for $350 (plus a couple extra parts from my current build, like a RAM stick or two), I could upgrade my motherboard, install an octo-core 4.0GHz processor, and have the parts to put together a second system.

My question is, Is something like that worth the cost? I'm not exactly rich, and I'd either have to sell a few things of mine, or get my (overly-frugal) brother to split the cost, which is preferable.

My current CPU is the A10 5800K, running at 3.8 GHz, and my motherboard is an Asus A88X pro.

The CPU I'm eyeballing is the FX 8350, which would run at 4.0 GHz. It has a different socket though, (AM3, not FM2+, which is my current one), so I'd have to upgrade the motherboard too. The one I'm looking at is the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P.

So, is this upgrade (plus another 1TB HDD, a case, 480W PSU, and a cd drive) worth the $350 I (or my brother and I) would be be putting into it? Should I wait and see if the prices come down?

Would jumping to intel be comparably priced though? I'm looking at i7s, and the cheapest I'm seeing is $200.

I'd prefer the total cost of the upgrade to be under $400.
$350 seems a little too hopeful already, to be honest.

Oh, woops >.<
I need to slow down when I'm reading these posts.

Edit:
Looked at the motherboards that came up in my search, but none of them have enough Sata ports (I need 5)

Last edited:
Looks like they all have integrated graphics. I'd rather not have that.

HMMMM......

All the I5's have integrated graphics whether you want to use it or not. It will not affect gameplay.

Also you can buy a graphics card in the future which you can use without using integrated graphics.

You could go with Xeon processors but I love my i7-2600K I have a NVIDIA GTX 560 TI and have successfully been able to run Battlefield 4 on high performance settings without lag at all.

I truly don't think integrated graphics will hurt you. But please anybody pipe in if I am wrong

Back
Top Bottom