If money was no object...

Density is an issue...? Can only daisy-chain so many drives on a single SAS card before you notice a serious performance decrease, and a server chassis can only hold so many disks... Even the highest density I would only be looking at 48 to 72 bays for 2.5in disks, but with 3.5in disks, though I can only pack about 48 tops into a rack, would provide far higher capacity. Maybe when SSD capacity can catch upto HDD capacity, or at least get to 4TB per disks.

Now I could go with a new Hybrid-Array that uses an SSD as a super-massive cache (imagine a 1TB cache, or larger) for the HDD RAID Array, that would give the performance someone you would desire, but give someone like me, most all the capacity I would desire.

If money was no object I'd build a whole data-center and never have to worry about saving space or losing anything important. I'd also build lots of high performance PC's and create a botnet. Don't ask for what for I don't even know yet but not bit mining because apparently bit mining with a botnet is useless:

Got a botnet? Thinking of using it to mine Bitcoin? Don't bother • The Register

I would also get the best internet money could buy to keep all my machines connected at high speeds lol

I'd go as far to say as just building my own business in data management or networking solutions.

I know I expanded a bit more but I've always wanted an extreme too-expensive to buy computer and if I had no money limit then I'd just go all out with servers, workstations and storage systems.

I wouldn't build anything absurd like a data center.

I'd have a relatively normal PC, not some crazy liquid helium cooled thing. I guess i'd build a separate room with a chiller in it and run my PC in there, with just the cables coming through the wall to my monitor and stuff. That way I can have a PC that is really well cooled and yet totally silent.

It'd just be two GTX 980Ti's 8GB (If/when they come out)
An 8 core Intel i7 (when they come out)
128GB DDR4
4TB of storage on SSDs in the PC itself
Some stupid 2000W modular PSU
A 48hour UPS

So yes, very expensive, but not crazy. Atleast not that aspect.

I've always been really interested in CFD simulation e.g. RealFlow. Also interested in finite element analysis simulations. Both of which are stupidly compute intensive. So i'd have a small but powerful simulation super computer. Something like 50 to 100 compute GPU's.

I wouldn't build anything absurd like a data center.

I'd have a relatively normal PC, not some crazy liquid helium cooled thing. I guess i'd build a separate room with a chiller in it and run my PC in there, with just the cables coming through the wall to my monitor and stuff. That way I can have a PC that is really well cooled and yet totally silent.

It'd just be two GTX 980Ti's 8GB (If/when they come out)
An 8 core Intel i7 (when they come out)
128GB DDR4
4TB of storage on SSDs in the PC itself
Some stupid 2000W modular PSU
A 48hour UPS

So yes, very expensive, but not crazy. Atleast not that aspect.

I've always been really interested in CFD simulation e.g. RealFlow. Also interested in finite element analysis simulations. Both of which are stupidly compute intensive. So i'd have a small but powerful simulation super computer. Something like 50 to 100 compute GPU's.

Yeah, as I am revisiting a data center is pretty absurd lol It's just unlimited funding equals overkill

Back
Top Bottom