Gaming/Video Editing Desktop... to build or not to build

Luna_

Solid State Member
Hello

So I am a console gamer that is looking to start computer gaming, and I love to video edit for fun, the only problem is I have no computer. Well, that isn't true, I have a Chromebook, but really I feel it is nothing more than a tablet with a permanently attached keyboard. :annoyed:

Anyway, I have been looking for months and thinking it over and decided I would really prefer a desktop. I am not one of those people into MMO's or anything like that, I will leave my first person shooter gaming to my consoles, I am just looking for a good computer to play games like Minecraft and a few website games that also has the storage and ability for me to take my home video's and edit them whenever I have free time.

Now to budget, I'm hoping to stick to a $1,500 budget but if it is worth it I am willing to go to $2,000 max. I know it may be a little tight but I am not above buying pre owned computers either. I'm not looking for a computer that will be run 24/7 playing assassins creed, just a computer to play during my free time. If you suggest something over my budget I may just look it up on ebay later, so feel free to post an expensive computer suggestion if you feel it will meet my needs.

Even if you don't have a computer you suggest it would really help if you point me in the right direction because I am really lost looking at all the stats and choices for computers out there.

-Thanks for reading
ps Video capture would be great too
(Yeah, I typed a lot...)​

are you opposed to putting one together yourself?

I don't know, I've never built a computer and they look so complex I feel like I will just end up buying the wrong pieces and I won't know that I did until my computer catches on fire... or just ruin something really expensive.

I'm good at puzzles but I don't know if I want to try my hand at a $1,000 puzzle....

It's simple, but what confuses me is you want a PC to PC game, yet apparently don't want to PC game. You realize Minecraft is on console too right? You have one hell of a budget for basically an internet box.

It's simple, but what confuses me is you want a PC to PC game, yet apparently don't want to PC game. You realize Minecraft is on console too right? You have one hell of a budget for basically an internet box.

I want to PC game, I have quite a few pc games on my list but many of the requirements need less then Minecraft so that is why I listed that one, and it may be the only one I play online. The budget is so high because of during my search for a computer premade anything that is able to play games that is under $1000 tends to fall apart shortly after.

I guess I am also looking for a computer that can last for a few years.

Well I'm assuming the $1500 is to include everything like monitor keyboard and such, Well that monitor keyboard/mouse are all more preference, Building is the best way to go for price/ performance and all parts will be quality, Prebuilts ALWAYS have some cheaper quality parts in there, building you have choices of which brands. As for putting one together Newegg.com has a pretty good set of video's showing you how to do it. If you decide to build we will put a list together of quality parts and the rest you can choose on your own like what size monitor to get and what type of keyboard and such. Just took a watch on this video, They get really detailed on the build and all the different components, The build will take a LOT less time than the video LOL But they seem to cover all the details about components so it's a good learning tool. I also added ther older video which goes a little faster and covers the basics and is shorter, There are 3 parts I think to each one, The older is shorter but still teaches a lot.

Dauntae
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIF43-0mDk4

The shorter one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

Last edited:
I want to PC game, I have quite a few pc games on my list but many of the requirements need less then Minecraft so that is why I listed that one, and it may be the only one I play online. The budget is so high because of during my search for a computer premade anything that is able to play games that is under $1000 tends to fall apart shortly after.

I guess I am also looking for a computer that can last for a few years.
Well that's what my deal is, you're saying less than that of Minecraft? A 300 dollar Dell from Walmart can do that.

We can build you a machine easily that won't come close to your budget with quality parts that will last. The question here is, are you going to want to play actual graphically intensive games later, or not?

Well that's what my deal is, you're saying less than that of Minecraft? A 300 dollar Dell from Walmart can do that.

We can build you a machine easily that won't come close to your budget with quality parts that will last. The question here is, are you going to want to play actual graphically intensive games later, or not?

Well, I did for get to mention GMod, more of the Prop Hunt games, I don't know what the requirements for that is. I have considered going on Steam to find other games to play but I know I will not play anything like Guns of Icarus, Assassins Creed, or anything graphics heavy like that. I find I prefer simpler games but who knows I may like a more detailed game though it is very unlikely, even on my consoles the most detailed game I play constantly is the Kingdom Hearts remix.

I hope that helped answer your question, XP

I don't know, I've never built a computer and they look so complex I feel like I will just end up buying the wrong pieces and I won't know that I did until my computer catches on fire... or just ruin something really expensive.

I'm good at puzzles but I don't know if I want to try my hand at a $1,000 puzzle....

5 year olds can do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr3MgKkS314&feature=youtu.be

if you don't want to build one yourself.
Lenovo K450E 57327389 Desktop PC Intel Core i7 4790 (3.6GHz) 12GB DDR3 1TB HDD 8GB Cache SSD Windows 8.1 64-bit - Newegg.com

if you want to build one yourself,
ASUS DVD-Writer 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24F1ST - CD / DVD Burners - Newegg.com
Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case - Newegg.com
TOSHIBA PH3300U-1I72 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Retail Kit - Newegg.com
ViewSonic VA2455sm Black 23.6” SuperClear Pro MVA LED Backlight Monitor --Full HD, True 8-bit, Flicker-Free, ViewMode, built-in speakers - Newegg.com
MSI N750TI-2GD5/OC G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card - Newegg.com
EVGA 500 B 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified 500W Active PFC ATX12V v2.31/EPS 12V v2.91 3 Year Warranty 100-B1-0500-KR Power Supply Intel 4th Gen CPU Ready - Newegg.com
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM - Newegg.com
ASRock Z97 Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
Windows 8.1 Update and Full version - Newegg.com
Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com
Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Quad-Core 3.2GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor
CM Storm Devastator - LED Gaming Keyboard & Mouse Combo (Blue LED Model) - Newegg.com
z200 Multimedia Speaker Mid Bk - Newegg.com

Subtotal: $1,210.35

Well I'm assuming the $1500 is to include everything like monitor keyboard and such, Well that monitor keyboard/mouse are all more preference, Building is the best way to go for price/ performance and all parts will be quality, Prebuilts ALWAYS have some cheaper quality parts in there, building you have choices of which brands. As for putting one together Newegg.com has a pretty good set of video's showing you how to do it. If you decide to build we will put a list together of quality parts and the rest you can choose on your own like what size monitor to get and what type of keyboard and such. Just took a watch on this video, They get really detailed on the build and all the different components, The build will take a LOT less time than the video LOL But they seem to cover all the details about components so it's a good learning tool. I also added ther older video which goes a little faster and covers the basics and is shorter, There are 3 parts I think to each one, The older is shorter but still teaches a lot.

So you make it sound like building a PC is a lot simpler than it looks and I hope you are right, I was considering building but I didn't know if I could do it, especially all of the options out there. I really have no clue where to start ^w^; but if you think even a newbie can do it I will start to seriously consider building one.

Yes, I was including the prices for the monitors, keyboards, and such. Also I was thinking of making another thread about this but i'll just ask you guys here...

Is having two screens worth it? In high school I was part of a video editing college class and we got to use computers with two screens and it was really cool then I hear gamers get two screens to game on, do you think it really makes a difference?

Back
Top Bottom