Possible ram issue (bluescreen related)

I don't have any extra ram laying around.
Buy the Corsair Vengeance 8GB Desktop Memory Kit at TigerDirect.ca
This is the ram that is in my computer now. IF I remove one of these sticks that is bad and replace it with another stick of 4gb will that work or do both memory modules in the same colored slots have to be the same make and model to work? or will it be unstable. I really don't want to have to replace both sticks if I don't have to.

It seems when I go and buy nice quality parts they break prematurly but if I cheap out on a part it seems to last freaking forever (excluding PSUs)

Last edited:
As long as you get one that's the same speed/voltage it should be fine. Getting one that's same or similar timings is best as well, but not totally necessary with DDR3.

Even if I got a stick of 4gb that was faster wouldn't it just slow itself down to match the slower stick? I just want to find a stick of 4gb that fits as closely to the specs of that corsair vengeance ram that I currently have if I could find a stick of 4gb of that same ram or of decent quality for under 60$ that would be great. I mean I really don't want to spend a ton of money since I might just upgrade the whole thing in a little over a year or so and by then ddr4 support will get more mainstream.

Even if I got a stick of 4gb that was faster wouldn't it just slow itself down to match the slower stick? I just want to find a stick of 4gb that fits as closely to the specs of that corsair vengeance ram that I currently have if I could find a stick of 4gb of that same ram or of decent quality for under 60$ that would be great. I mean I really don't want to spend a ton of money since I might just upgrade the whole thing in a little over a year or so and by then ddr4 support will get more mainstream.

Your mobo will only use the max RAM allowed in spec and ignore the rest
OR
It will just not like the extra RAM and not work at all

Last edited:
Corsair memory has a lifetime warranty. :)
But the last time I RMA'd any memory they (Patriot) wanted the entire memory kit, so if you purchased this memory as a kit (More than one stick in a package) they might ask for the entire kit (both or more sticks) in order to process the RMA

I just want to do what ever will be quick. I mean since one of my sticks is bad and I call Corsair and they want the whole kit. I will be without a computer for quite some time meaning I can't do my job and lose money. If it is a quick process maybe one or 2 days tops then I would do it however it might just be easier to replace the stick with another 4gb stick of some sort. Another idea I just had right now would be since my mobo has 4 slots with a max capacity of 16gb at 4gb per slot I might go buy another 4gb for under 60$ and then call corsair about the RMA and still have a functioning computer with the new 4gb stick. This is of course if it is the memory and not the slot. However I thought that if it was a bad slot there would be many more errors.

Also I have never RMAd anything before since the last defective thing was something my dad bought me and was still covered under tigerdirect store warranty. So I am unfamiliar with the process and what information they need. Also I bought this ram in canada along with all the rest of my parts so I don't know if that will impact anything.

I just want to do what ever will be quick. I mean since one of my sticks is bad and I call Corsair and they want the whole kit. I will be without a computer for quite some time meaning I can't do my job and lose money. If it is a quick process maybe one or 2 days tops then I would do it however it might just be easier to replace the stick with another 4gb stick of some sort. Another idea I just had right now would be since my mobo has 4 slots with a max capacity of 16gb at 4gb per slot I might go buy another 4gb for under 60$ and then call corsair about the RMA and still have a functioning computer with the new 4gb stick. This is of course if it is the memory and not the slot. However I thought that if it was a bad slot there would be many more errors.
Why not just call and find out if they need the whole kit or not?

Also I have never RMAd anything before since the last defective thing was something my dad bought me and was still covered under tigerdirect store warranty. So I am unfamiliar with the process and what information they need. Also I bought this ram in canada along with all the rest of my parts so I don't know if that will impact anything.

The rep will give you all the info you need. Dunno if you'll need a proof of purchase or not since it's a lifetime warranty. They'll give you an RMA # and an address. You'll box up/send the hardware to them (usually they'll want the RMA# written on the outside of the box as well). They'll have it for a day or 2 once they receive it and then send out a new set.

Sometimes you can ask about cross-shipping, and they will put a temp charge on a credit card, they'll send you new hardware and you'll send in your hardware. If they don't receive the hardware you sent, they'll charge the full amount on your card. If they receive it, they'll remove the charge.

You'll need to register with Corsair in order to open a support ticket to start the RMA process, It's usually very painless and at the most, you might need to get a copy of your receipt from Tiger Direct (should be in your account under purchases). Be sure to follow their guide to RMA exactly to the letter because if you do something like not put the RMA number on the box, then they might deny your claim.
Getting some extra memory won't hurt anything except your pocket book. Then you can still use your pc while you wait for the RMA process to finish. Warranty's are different in different countries but if there's an issue, Corsair will tell you
Start here:
https://corsair.secure.force.com/

Somehow I can't get to my old recipts from TD canada they were under my dads name and he doesn't remember the password. I made an account with corsair. I'm at work right now but when I get home I will see if there is any serial numbers or anything on the ram itself. I don't have the box anything came in or anything so I hope they don't require it. I am still considering buying another 4gb of some other sort of ddr3 ram so when I do an RMA I will have my system running with 4gig of ram then after getting the new ram I can put that new stick in the 3rd slot and have 12gb of ram.

With the current ram I have assuming an rma will get me a set of identical ram modules would this ram play nice with my current ram? This ram appears to have the same specs ie speed amd cas latency

G.SKILL Ares Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9S-4GAB - Newegg.com

Last edited:
Somehow I can't get to my old recipts from TD canada they were under my dads name and he doesn't remember the password. I made an account with corsair. I'm at work right now but when I get home I will see if there is any serial numbers or anything on the ram itself. I don't have the box anything came in or anything so I hope they don't require it. I am still considering buying another 4gb of some other sort of ddr3 ram so when I do an RMA I will have my system running with 4gig of ram then after getting the new ram I can put that new stick in the 3rd slot and have 12gb of ram.

With the current ram I have assuming an rma will get me a set of identical ram modules would this ram play nice with my current ram? This ram appears to have the same specs ie speed amd cas latency

G.SKILL Ares Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9S-4GAB - Newegg.com

To be perfecttly honest its best that you don't mix and match different memory brands.
I did that in the past with my old intel builds and the results always had windows or the whole machine getting out of sync.
Just ask your dad for his email address password, tell him all you want is to search for the receipt for tiger directs.

Once you have it give him the ok to change his password on his account and get on with your rma support.

Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory STD Height 30mm Model KVR16N11H/8 - Newegg.ca

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory (with Orange/Blue Light) Model BLT4G3D1869DT2TXOB - Newegg.ca
The crucial one would be better for gaming, you'll noticed the difference if you do online matches that are intense.

Lastly if you get ahold of corsair just tell them what happen and what trouble shooting you've done.
If they asked you if you tested this on another machine, go ahead and white lie it and tell them yes.

Even you didn't you know it won't work elsewhere because of the errors it gave you and you provided us.
If they're nice brute of people it should take atleast 2 weeks for them to replace your memory,
Ship with the postal service and use priority mail small box.

Back
Top Bottom