Can a laptop damage its battery?

aimo3

In Runtime
a battery did not charge, so we replaced it last November, but the new battery failed also last week. I put swapped batteries between 2 laptops to confirm the defect on the battery.

I am curious if this laptop damages batteries in 2 months. Is there a kind of defect in laptops that makes them damage their batteries?

Heat is the biggest killer for laptop batteries.

If the laptop is hot frequently, and not properly ventilating that heat out, and the battery is near where the heat source is...then yes that can kill the battery rapidly.

Did you buy an official replacement or did you buy a 3rd party replacement? Because a lot of the time, the 3rd party replacements are just cheap knock-off batteries that don't last very long.

Heat is the biggest killer for laptop batteries.

If the laptop is hot frequently, and not properly ventilating that heat out, and the battery is near where the heat source is...then yes that can kill the battery rapidly.

Did you buy an official replacement or did you buy a 3rd party replacement? Because a lot of the time, the 3rd party replacements are just cheap knock-off batteries that don't last very long.

I don't think the laptop is heating any abnormally, but I'll pay more attention to make sure. And the battery is an official replacement.

I don't think the laptop is heating any abnormally, but I'll pay more attention to make sure. And the battery is an official replacement.

If you are unsure download and run speedfan, this will monitor temps in your laptop and tell you if any components are overheating

If you are unsure download and run speedfan, this will monitor temps in your laptop and tell you if any components are overheating

I haven't recommended Speefan for years - mostly because the sensors were never accurate.

I'd suggest HWMonitor over Speedfan.

They could have gotten better over the years...but my experience was soured years ago :p.

Back
Top Bottom