Review: Sony Xperia Z3 Compact

Jack_Roper

Beta member
From My wordpress blog:

This phone... I mean this amazing phone, has continued to surprise me, its fluent, elegant and just meets almost any need. Lets start with its specifications, a stunning 720 x 1280 resolution display which can make any movie/video look like the work of a professional. The screen also contains a 10-finger multi-touch (no idea why you'd need to use 10 fingers) display protected by scratch and shatter proof glass.

With compatibility of Android 4.4.4 KitKat and the anticipated Android v5 set to release for the Z3 in February, it shows how well Sony has done in creating a phone fit for Android, bringing out all its features effortlessly. The Z3 Compact features a Snapdragon 801 chipset with whopping quad-core 2.5GHZ processing power, this ensures that you will be able to get along with all your tasks without hassle. However whilst I've been playing some games from the play store it does occasionally freeze here and there, but other than that its been working like a dream.

If you have a huge music library or love to take photos and fear there wont be enough space on the Z3, don't panic, there is a microSD card slot with a maximum capacity of 128GB, the equivalent of 21,000 MP3 files or 65,000 Photos.

The Z3 holds one of the most impressive camera's on a smartphone with 20.7 MP, 5428 x 3936 pixels and auto focus, there is no argument that this phone will please you with every picture you take however a lot of resolution is lost when zooming in which is a downfall. But hook it up to a 4k display and gaze upon your stunning visual creations straight from your phone. Its not just photos that look stunning, videos too, with hardly any motion blur, this will fit the needs of those who go the extreme.

Then we look at the Front-Facing camera or 'selfie' camera with 2.2 MP which is quite incomparable to the other camera, i would rather use the back camera for all the selfies. Its just... urgh...

Anyway, moving on to sound, the Z3 has two built in vibration speakers, however i seem to find that they fluctuate on how well they work, this could be due to water, affecting them.

Did i mention the Z3 was waterproof? Well i have now, but don't expect the touchscreen to work, there is a useful feature in the camera settings which disables the touchscreen, yet you are still able to take pictures by pressing on the camera button on the side of the phone, you receive the same stunning results as you would taking a picture out of water. Don't worry about damage all the ports have covers (removable) to stop water getting in except the audio jack, which has a waterproof coating to prevent damage.

Sony claim the battery lasts 2 days, which it can, but if you use your phone as much i do you'll find that merely impossible, but for me the Z3 lasts around a pleasing 14 hours on 1 charge, made possible with its 2600 mAh battery. Sony has been very thoughtful and has added whats called the 'Ultra Stamina Mode' found in the settings. This will limit you to messages, calling, contacts,camera, calculator etc. so if you get lost and have a dying phone or are in any other situation where you need your Z3 for a longer period you can prolong your battery life for days, nearly weeks.

The Z3 comes fully equipped with a 'lifelog' app recording all your daily activities. e.g. it tells you how much time you've spent on social apps, how long you've been in a car, the amount of steps you take each day. Its really quite impressive, you can set goals to achieve so you can be sure your keeping healthy and fit.

Lets not forget Sony is the maker of the PlayStation 4, which by the way, you can play straight from your phone! That's right, you can jump right on the PlayStation app with remote play also installed, connect a dualshock 4 controller to the phone over Bluetooth and play any of your owned PS4 games right from the screen of your Z3. However you will need a very fast internet connection and will need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi as your PS4.

So to sum up my review i absolutely recommend this phone to any Android lover, it replaced my IPhone and i'm glad it has, its a great phone for all needs, very rarely lets me down but does have the occasional downfalls, it comes in many different colors so it can be personal to you, the price can be expensive but prices vary from store to store. There are many great features and there's never anything 'undiscovered' about this phone. Sony really knows what they are doing. If i was to rate this phone I'd give it a 8.9/10 just some small improvements on the stability would make this phone absolutely perfect apart from the front facing camera.

Thank you for your time and there will be more Reviews to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom