COMPAQ Presario V6000 wont turn ON

guedes1997

Beta member
My grampa found this laptop, I decided to rebuild it so I bought every part I needed (don't have keyboard yet). I put everything together and the computer won't turn on. I press the button the fan goes on and stops the the computer shuts itself off but nothing was shown on the monitor. I tried ram, everything but it won't start I have 2 mobos the New one and te old one and both do the same. I would like to know if the lack of keyboard makes any difference. And if not any way to solve this problem..
Thanks

My grampa found this laptop, I decided to rebuild it so I bought every part I needed (don't have keyboard yet). I put everything together and the computer won't turn on. I press the button the fan goes on and stops the the computer shuts itself off but nothing was shown on the monitor. I tried ram, everything but it won't start I have 2 mobos the New one and te old one and both do the same. I would like to know if the lack of keyboard makes any difference. And if not any way to solve this problem..
Thanks

Not gonna lie here but you have one of the worst laptops built by compaq/HP. :/
I suggest you open a window on a 2 story house launch it out into incoming traffic.
Wipe the dirt off your hands, Close the window and forget about it, or if you insist on fixing it read this...
[SOLVED] Compaq Presario V6000 series start up trouble - Tech Support Forum

I suggest you read post #17 and #18 those seem like the best answer you could into fixing it.

Not gonna lie here but you have one of the worst laptops built by compaq/HP. :/
I suggest you open a window on a 2 story house launch it out into incoming traffic.
Wipe the dirt off your hands, Close the window and forget about it, or if you insist on fixing it read this...
[SOLVED] Compaq Presario V6000 series start up trouble - Tech Support Forum

I suggest you read post #17 and #18 those seem like the best answer you could into fixing it.

Yeah, just ruin it so you have an excuse to stop looking at it haha

Hp had a problem with their (now) older laptops and GPU's overheating causing a total system fail. Nvidia stepped up to the plate and reimbursed HP but HP was still refusing to fix laptops that were out of warranty, so through a court settlement HP was forced to take back all the listed models with the Nvidia 7x chips that were know to melt down. Unfortunately, there were stipulations on the settlement and now that it has expired several years ago....not much you can do about it today. Google the complete model and date code of your V6000, and if it is one of the faulty laptops, Then your best option is to part it out and see what you can get for them on eBay

This basically sums up the models affected:
Both companies offer a BIOS update. HP seems to have an updated BIOS for all affected machines, Dell has one for 10 of their 15 affected models.

HP describes the BIOS update thusly:

"HP has identified a hardware issue with certain HP Pavilion dv2000/dv6000/dv9000 and Compaq Presario V3000/V6000 series notebook PCs, and has also released a new BIOS for these notebook PCs... The new BIOS release for your notebook PC is preventative in nature to reduce the likelihood of future system issues. The BIOS updates the fan control algorithm of the system, and turns the fan on at low volume while your notebook PC is operational."

A very different perspective on the BIOS update is offered by Charlie Demerjian in The INQUIRER:

"If you look at the HP page, the prophylactic fix they offer is to more or less run the fan all the time. Once again, for the non-engineers out there, fan running eats a lot of power, so this destroys the battery life of notebooks. Basically, people bought a machine with a battery life of X, and now it is Y to prevent meltdown from a bum part. It doesn't fix anything, it just makes the failures take longer, hopefully past the warranty period, at a huge battery life cost. Fire up your class actions people, you got shafted."

Both Dell and HP have extended the warranty on affected machines by one year.
http://www.cnet.com/news/summarizing-the-nvidia-problems-with-laptop-chips-overheating/
They still failed even running the fan on full speed, it just took a longer time to fail. Theye are a lot of fixes on line to "reflow" the GPU, that I personally tried that and found that is just a bandaid, the problem still exists due to a very poor design of the laptop and your best option is to save your money and do not waste any more trying to get this working...it's a doomed fail

Last edited:
Yeah, just ruin it so you have an excuse to stop looking at it haha

:devil:

@Carne and @Joe the new guy just owned you, no need for all of that info. :/

Besides that once the op realizes that laptop is a nightmare to fix he'll leave it alone like thousands of others have done.

Plus it's so old and if you want a replacement esp. for replacing that laptop you'll find that you can get a decent used laptop (Way better than the current one) for a pretty fair price depending on where you go. Check out your local computer recycling center and see if they sell refurbished machines. There is a place by me where I go to (recycling center) which has laptops with i3 and i5 processors for $300-$450 with 4-8 GB of RAM. That comes preloaded with Windows 7. I mean, what a deal! Even a lot of websites promote refurbished machines. But God forbid you get a refurbished machine that fails without warranty. A great place I JUST LOOKED AT is overstock.com. They have tons of great deals. I mean, even if you were to replace that P.O.S. with another P.O.S. at least the newer P.O.S. will perform better haha

I would honestly suggest if there is an extended warranty program for a newer refurbished machine which covers hardware failure (provided by whatever the company is) if you are not technologically savvy. If you are, you know the risks and should be able to troubleshoot most or all of the issues, at least be able to identify all issues.

I remember how people used to bring those hp laptops in and we would tell them to please leave our store. We wanted nothing to do with them!

Back
Top Bottom