Consumer SSD lifespan.

Then why care about the controller at all? We should all move back to the old Sandforce controller that was killing drives :lol:

I didn't know that it was killing drives :p. Was posting a legit question above since I didn't know lol. I haven't kept up on hardware obviously :p. Software has enveloped me, for the most part.

No, you're right that the flash is the main item that determines lifespan but something has to communicate to it and I'd be curious how the fast speeds like the Gen 3 SAmsung might degrade the controller or flash over standard SATA3.

The controller and general drive electronics could fail at any time, the real point of writing petabytes of data to these drives is to see how long it takes the data cells to reach their max write threshold.

I ended up getting 3 SSD drives recently. 1 for the OS and major software installs (Adobe products, FTP, anti-virus, etc.), 1 for game installs, and 1 for capturing game footage/scratchdisk/general usage. I also keep an external backup drive, as well as DropBox (for day to day stuff) and Carbonite for an overall, large scale, cloud backup.

Hopefully by separating the drives that way, any one won't be used too much, and if it is it won't affect the whole system.

I also learned that separating them this way helps in capturing game footage since you aren't running the OS, playing the game, streaming AND capturing footage all on the same disc and vying for resources.

Seems to be working well so far.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom