Getting My First Gaming PC! Need Help!

I got advice from my cousin who said, "970 with an i5 is overkill" I asked if there is a cheaper alt and he said, "I7 or going down to a 700" Would an the send option still function good and be significantly cheaper?

wat

So an i5 is overkill...but he recommends an i7? Sense - that makes none.

Games aren't going to benefit from an i7 since i7's main advantage is Hyperthreading - and games don't take advantage of HT. Games are more GPU dependent than CPU dependent.

Read this: http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/

A 970 does battle with a 780ti, and the 970 is cheaper. That makes no sense buddy, and as was said before an i7 won't help you with games. The only thing overkill there is the price to the no performance benefit you get.

Ok, probably the final thing is what cable should I use to connect my "brain" to my monitor. I've heard display Port 1.2 is the best. Is this true? Also are display port 1.3's out? Can these be bought at say department store or tech places lke best but or will I need to order them?

Ok, probably the final thing is what cable should I use to connect my "brain" to my monitor. I've heard display Port 1.2 is the best. Is this true? Also are display port 1.3's out? Can these be bought at say department store or tech places lke best but or will I need to order them?

Does your monitor even have DisplayPort connectors?

Depends on the monitor you get honestly. If it's a basic 1080p monitor then almost anything will work.

Ok, Thanks guy. I will order within the next month and will bump the thread if needed
My last question for now is, does the groahics card on able to go up to 60fps? My monitor allows up to 69hz so I just want to be safe :p

Last edited:
Refresh doesn't = FPS or vice verse.

Also, should have said something about a future build in which I'd quote myself.
Finally, my ending here. I'm not trying to discourage people from posting, but if you do not have the money now to purchase within a week of posting then please do not make a build thread. Hardware is still changing around every 6 months. Prices change continuously. Some people on here like to build with combo deals, promo codes, ect. These go away within a few days and if you don't have the cash to take advantage of them then it makes it a useless waste of time to make a build for you. That 600 dollar build could wind up being 800 with the same parts from either inflation or the removal of certain deals. That same 600 bucks could also get you a better rig in 3 months time due to prices lowering for whatever reason. So even though we want you to post questions, please don't make us make a build and waste that time when you can't actually purchase it within a reasonable time. Another thing, is I wont typically recommend waiting for new parts to come out unless it's a big deal or a game changer for your money.

Since nothing is happening currently besides CES announces the list might not change much, but I bet when you can actually purchase the parts a part or two will need to be changed.

Refresh doesn't = FPS or vice verse.

Also, should have said something about a future build in which I'd quote myself.

Since nothing is happening currently besides CES announces the list might not change much, but I bet when you can actually purchase the parts a part or two will need to be changed.

Ok, thanks. I was also looking at other Evga graphics cards and I was wondering if downgrading to one about $80 cheaper. Would this drastically decrease performance on high-demanding games? I can order the parts very soon if I could drop the price by that much. Only help I need are with compatibility. Would this be compatible with my setup and function good still: EVGA - Products - EVGA GeForce GTX 660 3GB FTW Signature 2 - 03G-P4-2667-KR ?

Back
Top Bottom