Power on failing

I think I learned how to fry a motherboard. I plugged it in with the power-on pin shorted, turned on the power supply, and turned on the motherboard. Worked the first time; second time, something went pop on the board and I smelled burning plastic. I done messed up.

I think I learned how to fry a motherboard. I plugged it in with the power-on pin shorted, turned on the power supply, and turned on the motherboard. Worked the first time; second time, something went pop on the board and I smelled burning plastic. I done messed up.

Yeah...definitely dun goof'd. Guess we know for sure it's a board issue now ;).

yeaaaaa.. You popped a capacitor somewhere most likely.

RMA!

Easy bucko lets back up for a second, you see what I highlighted ?
Ask yourself something and think about it real hard.
How likely is it for asus to just joyfully rma and repair his board if he damaged it ?

@RedFish: I suggest you stay away from asus boards for amd and partly intel for that matter.
I also suggest you stay away from watercooling with amd cpus.
That 8 core shouldn't be that hard to chill off, clock that chip at 3.0ghz.
Set the maximum oc for the 8 core to atleast 3.7ghz.
If you do like this and let the cpu oc or uc clock itself when it needs to be you won't have much or any issues at all.

I want you to read this before you decide to rma with asus.
ASUS Motherboard Warranty/RMA Denied (plus awesome XFX Support)

Be sure to have your facts right before you ship and they receive it to look at it for repair or replacement.

GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

ZALMAN CNPS5X Performa 92mm FSB (Fluid Shield Bearing) Powerful Cooling Performance CPU Cooler - Newegg.com

Those 2 I recommend for your 8 core chip.

ARCTIC MX-4 (4g) Carbon-Based Thermal Compound, Non-Electricity Conductive, Non-Capacitive - Newegg.com
That I would highly recommend for all amd chips and the lower end of haswell dual- quadcore cpus.

I suggest you google around for a lower price otherwise the mx-2 will do but don't oc stupidly with the paste.

Back
Top Bottom