Installed new Hard Drives Questions?

So according to your Disk Management screen...your SSD isn't set as a boot drive, nor has the System attribute on the 100MB partition.

IMO, I'd start over. Wipe your SSD and delete all the partitions. Re-clone your drive over to the SSD. If you have to, use GParted to resize your C partition so it's smaller than the SSD, and then do a Disk clone with CloneZilla.

Hi, I've been rather busy as of late and haven't been able to fix my computer at all for the past two weeks. haha.

So i've been able to format my 3TB Hard Drive just fine through disk management screen. IDK why but there's a "simple" option now when there wasn't before.
Should i also initialize the SSD to Simple as well before i wipe/reclone it? It's currently unallocated now for some reason and doesn't have the 100mb partition. no idea why...

Hi, I've been rather busy as of late and haven't been able to fix my computer at all for the past two weeks. haha.

So i've been able to format my 3TB Hard Drive just fine through disk management screen. IDK why but there's a "simple" option now when there wasn't before.
Should i also initialize the SSD to Simple as well before i wipe/reclone it? It's currently unallocated now for some reason and doesn't have the 100mb partition. no idea why...

I suggested what you should do in my previous post:

IMO, I'd start over. Wipe your SSD and delete all the partitions. Re-clone your drive over to the SSD. If you have to, use GParted to resize your C partition so it's smaller than the SSD, and then do a Disk clone with CloneZilla.

Sorry i forgot to ask the all important question, How do i wipe my SSD? I've never wiped any drive before either...
I've been reading up on it and it's very... unclear to me because they go into technical things about how a program wipes a drive and not say what program it is...

Either use Disk Management through Windows to delete all partitions on the drive or a GParted LiveCD (my recommendation) to delete all partitions/format it.

Hi so i didn't do anything you said because i'm a rebel. not actually. I just couldn't figure out how to use Clonezilla.
Regardless, I got my SSD to work just fine. I recloned it without wiping it. i guess samsung clone magician thingy auto wipes?... anyway, i then went into BIOS and changed boot priority and the SSD is now C drive (magically) and the other drive is now G.

I think I'm just going to end up using GParted to erase the HDD i was using before and use it as a regular storage drive.

Thanks a lot for the help CarnageX! i really appreciate it :) Somehow it all worked out in the end

Hi so i didn't do anything you said because i'm a rebel. not actually. I just couldn't figure out how to use Clonezilla.

It's easy :p. You're pretty much just taking all the defaults the whole way through, besides the steps where you choose what clone you want to do, and what devices you want to clone.

Regardless, I got my SSD to work just fine. I recloned it without wiping it. i guess samsung clone magician thingy auto wipes?... anyway, i then went into BIOS and changed boot priority and the SSD is now C drive (magically) and the other drive is now G.

I think I'm just going to end up using GParted to erase the HDD i was using before and use it as a regular storage drive.

Thanks a lot for the help CarnageX! i really appreciate it :) Somehow it all worked out in the end

Good to hear that you got it up and running.

Before you wipe the HDD, disconnect it and make sure that you can still boot from your SSD. Sometimes clone apps / Windows installer like to put the boot partition/info on the larger drive, even if it's on a different drive than where the OS is located.

I was reading through clonezilla steps and every download it said i had to boot from a medium, like dvd usb, etc. I didn't want to do that and i haven't done that in a looooooooooooong time, like, i haven't burned a cd/dvd in over 8 years haha.

I'll try disconnecting later tonight or tomorrow. I got some ass to kick in Civ:BE

I was reading through clonezilla steps and every download it said i had to boot from a medium, like dvd usb, etc. I didn't want to do that and i haven't done that in a looooooooooooong time, like, i haven't burned a cd/dvd in over 8 years haha.

I'll try disconnecting later tonight or tomorrow. I got some ass to kick in Civ:BE

Then how did you use GParted? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom