Reboot issue

As for the vid card. Are the slots pretty much universal or does it change between model. Example. Do I need an msi gpu to go I the msi laptop or are all the gtx580m cards standard. Looking on ebay allot of them say for Dell or alienware. But the pic looks like mine I have no idea what the slots are called on a laptop. Lol

Last edited:
Oh hmmm looks likes it's a pci express just a mobile version. So to answer my own question I guess the standard is MXM

Oh hmmm looks likes it's a pci express just a mobile version. So to answer my own question I guess the standard is MXM

The form factor of these cards are MXM in most gaming latpops... the only thing that I've seen have issues is the laptop's BIOS may not work with the card, or the card's vBIOS isn't compatible (or neither are compatible). Sometimes a different or modified vBIOS flash is required, or even a modified system BIOS.

Honestly, if you're thinking of upgrading to a different GPU... go over to that Notebook Review site (here's the MSI board: MSI Forum ) and ask there. They do TONS of mods/upgrades on their gaming notebooks and would be able to answer any questions on upgrading to a different card as far as what is compatible or what all you would need. I generally don't like referring people to other sites...but the guys over there are good and have a lot more experience at modding/upgrading gaming notebooks so I usually trust their judgement. I know they even have people that work at places like MSI/Asus that post over there so there's some knowledgeable people there.

The thread specific for your notebook (general owner's thread) is here: --->The Official MSI GT780/GT783 Owner's Lounge<---

No problem.

I'd still try running MSI Kombuster and/or Furmark to see if it causes the system to have issues like it has been - that'd kinda help confirm that it's the GPU.

Lol well. I don't think it matters now haha. I was doing that when I got home from work. Computer shut down with a gpu temp of 73c. Now it won't turn back on. It's cooked. Not even a flicker. Not on battery or ac. My new theory is that there was a faulty chip on the mobo under the heat sink for the gpu. Temp of gpu was rising and causing the mobo to flake. It makes sense. It felt like a heat issue but the numbers never told us it was a heat issue. Always ran better cold than hot in the majority of testing. I'll pull it apart when I get a chance and see if there is anything visual. But i doubt it.

pulled it apart. nothing visual. there is also allot of heat shielding so i am not sure how it could have been heat related. since it seems to be a power issue maybe it just had to do with how much power the gpu was pulling. its odd. today after i pulled out the gpu i put the battery in for fun to see if would power. it did. but not off the AC. before it would not power of AC or battery. Very wonky. no clear sign. wonder if there is a bad chip on the mobo that is related to power that i can replace myself. you cant find the mobo to just buy a new one. at least i couldnt find one.

i could try picking up a new power jack and replacing that. But i am not sure that would be the problem considering i was having the reboot issue on battery as well.

Its under $4 so i snagged one. see what happens. would be nice if thats all it is. it does indicate some of the symptoms

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom