Need help with an mSATA

Roark

Lord of Bacon
Hey all, been out of the tech loop for a while, now that its upgrade time I figured someone here would know exactly what I'm in need of.

I've actually pretty much finished my upgrades (R9 290 on the way), and the last thing I can think of is an mSATA boot drive.
I currently have an Intel 180GB SSD which has Windows and a handful of games on it (~64GB free) and a 1TB 7200RPM storage drive (~400+GB free).
I like the idea of having an essentially on-board bootdrive and freeing up my SSD for Steam and MMO games I have.

I started hunting around Newegg but got worried about reviews on heat and connection issues.
Preferably looking for a 60-120GB drive (sub $100), from a reliable company, that will fit into my motherboard (link below), and won't burst into flames.
Bring on the suggestions!

MB = GA-Z77X-UD3H

mSATA really isn't a thing, because M.2 is way better. Sub 100 you don't have many decent options.
You have this, which ehhhhh.
Kingston SMS200S3/120G 120GB Mini-SATA (mSATA) MLC - Newegg.com

And you have a Samsung which isn't sub 100.
Samsung Electronics 840 EVO mSATA 0.85-Inch Solid State Drive MZ-MTE120BW - Newegg.com

The only other options I'd consider are Mushkin, which to be perfectly frank I think the 240GB is a good deal.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226361
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W01EC5425

Sadly M.2 isn't an option on my motherboard.

When I was cruising Newegg I came across that Mushkin 120GB and it's 60GB counterpart ($65/$45 respectively), but the reviews on them are why I came here.
I should know better than to trust Newegg reviews, but I couldn't help myself.

I know Mushkin RAM is solid, and their venture into PSUs wasn't a total flop.
I guess best option is to snag the 120GB and hope it doesn't fail?

I would trust Mushkin before I trusted a no name.
That is my initial reaction as well.
However, I don't buy anything without checking some reviews. The BP4 has gotten good marks on AnandTech, The SSD Review, and TweakTown. ..Of course poking around for Mushkin Atlas reviews, it gets positive marks as well.

Probably just go with the less expensive of the two when I go to pull the trigger.

Mydigitalssd has a had great rep the past couple of years. I have honestly read nothing but positives about them. coupled with Toshiba Toggle NAND, what's there not to like?
Positive reviews or not, in SSD land it's still a no name to me.

That is my initial reaction as well.
However, I don't buy anything without checking some reviews. The BP4 has gotten good marks on AnandTech, The SSD Review, and TweakTown. ..Of course poking around for Mushkin Atlas reviews, it gets positive marks as well.

Probably just go with the less expensive of the two when I go to pull the trigger.
Yea I just checked the 240 Mushkin again and it isn't the price it was when I linked. They had it for $119 at that time.

Back
Top Bottom