Reboot issue

@carnage don't start start that up again, when I said if the laptop is blowing hot air consistantly..
Chill...I was pulling your chain. I had a GTX 570m and I know how warm they can get, fairly quickly. Since his laptop doesn't have Optimus, the 580m is going to be running the whole time.

It would be a wise idea to check and see if the fan is clogged up
Quite likely as well.

Or he can check the heatsink and thermal pad let me ask you this.
Which is what I suggested to do ;).

SInce you know much of IT support and repair.
Yes, I do. Especially on this laptop since I've owned 2 now.

Wouldn't it be a good idea if checked to see if the thermal pad needs replacing ?
If it hasn't been changed since leaving msi headquarters and its been over a year.
Yes, it would be a good idea, that's why I suggested it in post #6. Glad you agree with me that OP should try this.

I would atleast attempt to change that or find a local shop that can do this.
No need to waste money on having a shop do it - it's literally a 20 minute job. Remove underside cover, remove fan screws/power plug, remove GPU screws, remove CPU screws, lift up heatsink(s), clean paste off with coffee filter + isopropyl alc., put rice-sized drop of paste on CPU/GPU, re-attach heatsink(s), re-attach fan, put cover on, done.

I suggested he call MSI so he could see if get the parts or items to do the job.
I doubt MSI is going to ship him isopropyl alcohol and coffee filters. Maybe a screwdriver. But all that can be gotten from the local pharmacy (sans screwdriver...probably have to take a trip to the hardware store for that).

A screw driver is best for opening and closing things down doesn't really help with heating problems on laptops and desktops.

Apparently you only read the first item in that list. Screwdriver is needed to remove screws on backplate / GPU/CPU heatsink(s). The rest is for cleaning the old paste off.

thanks for the advice. i will pick up some thermal paste and give it a shot. computer is around 3 years old. i also was able to confirm that it does not reboot when just sitting on the desktop. had it running for over 12 hours with no reboot. So it only does it when its under load.

thanks for the advice. i will pick up some thermal paste and give it a shot. computer is around 3 years old. i also was able to confirm that it does not reboot when just sitting on the desktop. had it running for over 12 hours with no reboot. So it only does it when its under load.

Possible that it's heat related then. Will be a good first step, at least. Plus it'll end up running cooler :p.

soooooo that didnt go so swell. i opened it up reseated the cpu cleaned all the old compound off put new compound on. put it back together. i then pulled the heat sink off the gpu cleaned up both surfaces and put fresh compound on that. and put it back together. i did not mess with the vid card. with it all put back together the problem is now worse. lol what the heck could i have done to make it worse? i am sure the cpu was seated properly. any thoughts? bad cpu? do i pull it all apart again and reseat both vid card and cpu?

problem being worse as in if i try to do anything. like even launch battle.net app for bliz games. it will reboot.

problem being worse as in if i try to do anything. like even launch battle.net app for bliz games. it will reboot.

I suggest you look at the video I linked you also there should be one for assembly.
Also it may benefit you if you pm the person of that video and see if they can help you.
When taking apart laptops completely always remember what goes where.
This is why I prefer not to even break down a laptop completely because I fux it up one way another.

Be sure to record yourself breaking it down and putting it back together.

soooooo that didnt go so swell. i opened it up reseated the cpu cleaned all the old compound off put new compound on. put it back together. i then pulled the heat sink off the gpu cleaned up both surfaces and put fresh compound on that. and put it back together. i did not mess with the vid card. with it all put back together the problem is now worse. lol what the heck could i have done to make it worse? i am sure the cpu was seated properly. any thoughts? bad cpu? do i pull it all apart again and reseat both vid card and cpu?
Are you sure you cleaned all the old thermal paste off of both the CPU/heatsink and GPU/heatsink? You have to do all 4 components if you remove the heatsink for both of them.

How much new compound did you put on? You should only put on a rice to pea-sized drop directly in the middle of the CPU/GPU, and then reattach the heatsink(s), allowing them to spread out the paste evenly as you tighten them down. Putting on too much paste (or spreading it yourself) can cause your more issues, as it will affect the heat transfer in a negative way.

Also, what brand of thermal paste did you use?

IMO - repaste it again. If you used cheap/crappy thermal paste, get a new tube of better stuff (I use TX-2 and it hasn't failed me yet).

Also, I've never unseated the GPU or CPU while cleaning the thermal paste off - wasn't really necessary. I just put a little bit of isopropyl alcohol on the coffee filter I'm using to clean them with, and scrape the old paste off. Replace with new coffee filter as I need to - I'll probably go through about 5 or so when cleaning them off thoroughly.

I suggest you look at the video I linked you also there should be one for assembly.
Also it may benefit you if you pm the person of that video and see if they can help you.
When taking apart laptops completely always remember what goes where.
This is why I prefer not to even break down a laptop completely because I fux it up one way another.

Be sure to record yourself breaking it down and putting it back together.

That video you posted isn't what he wants. That's just total disassembly - which is not necessary with MSI's GT laptops. You remove the bottom panel and the CPU/GPU are totally accessible. There's no confusing steps about it. No need to PM that guy either - I'm right here and I've serviced these laptops before because, I've owned 2 and repasted the first one twice. Plus, he's not having an issue reassembling it - not sure why you're indicating that's the issue. Obviously he was able to reattach everything if he got back up and running in Windows.

If anything, THIS is a better video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY0lcZt2sBY

ya. everything back together just fine. i wouldn't call myself an expert by any stretch but its not my first time in a computer. i did reseat the cpu one more time and i am 100% sure it is set. doing a couple more tests to see if i can pin point a pattern. because now it is at least booting. Its very odd. its definitely not the AC adapter because the problem happens on battery as well.

missed some of your post. Ya all the compound was cleaned off and new compund was put on. I did spread it myself so i could get a nice even coat. I also spread it on the heat sink not the cpu or the vid card. youtubed to make sure i was doing it right. about a rice sized blob. compound used is arctic silver 5

missed some of your post. Ya all the compound was cleaned off and new compund was put on. I did spread it myself so i could get a nice even coat. I also spread it on the heat sink not the cpu or the vid card. youtubed to make sure i was doing it right. about a rice sized blob. compound used is arctic silver 5

Don't spread it yourself. Let the weight/pressure of the heatsink/screws spread it out for you. Just put a rice sized blob in the middle on the CPU/GPU, and then lower the heatsinks onto their respective chips and if you do it evenly, when you tighten the screws down, it should spread it nicely. AS5 should be decent enough.

Back
Top Bottom