Ram installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffK91

In Runtime
Hi all, new member here with a Computer Hardware problem. Well, this is a problem that I experienced a while ago to boost my computer gaming performance. I run on a very slow computer:

Originally Sony Vaio then replaced with 'Giga Computer' tower. Shows 'America Megatrends' at the start of computer.

550 MHz
128mb Ram
Windows 98
Pentium III
Radeon 7000
24 gig Hard Drive
etc.

So I ordered a 512MB stick of ram for $60.00 off Outpost.com. It promptly arrived a week later and I took off the old 128MB ram off my comp and put kmy 512 one in that slot. I noticed it did not fit well. So I tried to force it in (stupid, i know) then I turned on my comp and it repeatedly made a beeping noice and my monitor was pitch black. So after trying numerous ways to put it on my comp and failing, I gave up and put my 128 back in. Then I experienced the same problem. I honestly thought that my motherboard had fried or something. But after trying hard, my computer finally worked. I promptly then returned the ram for a full refund.

So my computer continues to run slowly on games. Then I searched on google (bout weeks after the incident) on how I can find the right stick of ram next time. Then came across this forum and it seemed real proffessional and hopefully helpful. I want to know what type of Ram can be used on my comp because I want to order another 512MB ASAP but I also want to be cautious so that I don't almost destroy my computer. :confused: I've looked for ram online and foundthis site has a system that can instantly track down which ram is right for my comp. Relieved right? Well I tried it and it did not have my computer brand! Now might I remind you, this is a customized computer. So basically I had a Sony Vaio which I bought like 4 years ago then replaced my old tower with a new one.

So then again, luck is not on my side at all. So I come for some desperatly needed advice on which Ram I need for my specific comp.

yeah more than likely you tried putting DDR RAM in a board that only accepts SDRAM from looking at how old the parts in your sig are. You really gotta look at these things when buying hardware. With SDRAM there's two notches that line up and with DDR there's only one notch so I'm really surprised you didn't ruin either the RAM chip itself or the RAM slot in your motherboard.

Get a program called CPU-Z just type that into google and it'll find multiple places to download it from. Once you got that, run it, click on the SPD tab. In the top left you'll see it say "SLOT #1" so just move that to slot 2 or 3 or whatever until information pops up regarding that 128mb stick. If you know what slot it's in then obviously just adjust the drop down menu to that and then read the info. This will tell you what kind of RAM you have meaning PC100 or PC133. I'm thinking it'll more than likely be PC133, but like I said use CPU-Z, find that out, and next time you go shopping for RAM look for PC133 because when shopping for RAM you always shop for the SPEED of RAM not the amount unless you know your stuff and already know what speed the RAM you need goes at.

Thanks, I found out it is a PC100. But I still have a few questions; Sicne it's a PC100 and SD, does it mean it'll still run slower then DDR or PC133, etc.?

I looked on outpost.com for PC100 and it's $130.00! Ouch, not really in my budget range. Do you have any recommendations where I can find a cheap kind for less then $100 on the net?

And finally, if I do get a new motherboard installed on my comp, does that basically mean I have to get a completely new stick of ram that works for the motherboard?

Sicne it's a PC100 and SD, does it mean it'll still run slower then DDR or PC133, etc.?
I don't believe there is DDR PC133. Once they past the speeds of PC133 with PC2100 then it became SDRAM, but yeah PC100 will obviously run slower than PC2100 as PC2100 is not only DDR, but just insanely faster simply regarding the actual clock speed. Wether PC133 is faster than PC100 yeah, it is....technically not by a whole lot but every little nanosecond counts especially back then when PC133 SDRAM was at the top of it's game.

PC100 = slower than PC133

and both are SDRAM but yeah SDRAM = slower than DDR.

I looked on outpost.com for PC100 and it's $130.00! Ouch, not really in my budget range. Do you have any recommendations where I can find a cheap kind for less then $100 on the net?

Hmmm here's the cheapest 512mb stick I could find:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80312

That's $100 for Cas Latency 3 rated stick of 512mb PC100 RAM. The CL3 means Cas Latency 3 which if you get CL25 it means Cas latency 2.5 not 25 and there's also CS2 which is probably what you might have been looking at that cost $150...but then again outpost.com could just be more expensive.

And finally, if I do get a new motherboard installed on my comp, does that basically mean I have to get a completely new stick of ram that works for the motherboard?
Yeah if you get a newerboard, anything that's over like 2001 or so it'll require DDR RAM and probably a minimum of PC2100. So ask yourself if you REALLY need this extra bit of PC100 or just hold off for a new motherboard so that money can go towards better RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom