Upgrade or build new?

zszoke

Solid State Member
I posted this once but my thread disappeared so I must have accidentally deleted it while trying to edit...

Anyway, here's my current rig:

PSU: 750W
GPU: ATI Radeon 4800 series
CPU: AMD phenom 2 x2 550 3.1gigahertz
MOBO: MSI 770-C45
RAM: 2x2GB (4GB total, 2 slots open) at 1333megahertz
system drive: WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB)
I'm also using 2 DVI monitors.

I'm either going to upgrade or build new. I prefer to upgrade unless it means that I'll be spending so much that I might as well buy new. I'm thinking I would spend up to $300 on upgrading or up to $700 on a new build. I'm flexible though, if anyone thinks it's worth putting more into my current system I'll definitely listen. If you need any more info just ask.

I take it this is supposed to be a gaming rig? If so, motherboard, processor, more RAM, and a new GPU.

Yeah, I game on it; not heavily but enough. Is my CPU pretty crappy then? I thought about just adding RAM and getting a new GPU but I had a hunch that I was going to need all new.

Thanks for the advice, that is likely what I will do.

What's there is retarded quick compared to what you're currently using. That is, I'm only assuming and hoping the 750w PSU you mention is a quality unit rather than some cheap junk that'll need to be replaced.

I replied with a link to my power supply but I guess the link needs to be reviewed before being officially posted. My PSU is Thermaltake W0382RU; it's out of stock now but I got it from TigerDirect.

I replied with a link to my power supply but I guess the link needs to be reviewed before being officially posted. My PSU is Thermaltake W0382RU; it's out of stock now but I got it from TigerDirect.

Got it.

Back
Top Bottom