I'm having a ram problem, please help me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightingBird

In Runtime
I have a Compaq evo notebook n600c. I've had it for almost 7 months now and had no problems from it. I bought from a old friend on ebay and I have enjoyed it since I got it.

Heres the problem.

I currently have or had 256 mbs of ram. When I got my new stick of 512 from tiger yesterday. I was really excited to put it in. I opened up the slot on the bottom of my laptop and removed one of two sticks of 128 ram. Getting the 512 ready to put in. I realize I was sent the wrong pin. I needed a 133. So, anyway, I put the new ram back up and call tiger and get a exchange squared away.

I put the 128 of ram back in and surprise. My laptop won't detect it. I do some research and find out that I might have to refresh the information in the bios. I try and go into bios and whamo.

It asks me for a password.

I have no idea what it can be. I have never setup one. I'm assuming its some default code unless my friend put one in while he was using it. I can't imagine why anyone would put a password on there bios. It just seems dumb.

But anyway, can anyone please help me fix this or get past this. I am going to try and contact Compaq soon.

you'll find as well opening to find the button battery cell. locate it, and pull out the cell for 5 minutes (at the same time do not power up the laptop with external source) and as well uplug the laptop battery. it will reset your password.

i'm not so sure it will reset the pwd. BIOS passwords don't work like that... in a desktop you just look up the specks on the mbd locate the jumper and start the pc to reset the bios... something like this may need to be done on the laptop, i've never had to do that on a laptop b4.
have you tried just hitting enter... i don't know where the pwd came from, it has to be set, and once set, you will have to enter it everytime to boot the pc, that's the security of it! that's why ppl would do it, so pesky room mates and such can't even boot the pc.

Yeah not all BIOS's will be reset just from pulling out the battery and clearing the CMOS that way. You may have to find out the maker of your BIOS then search for 'BIOS Master Passwords'. Each manufacturer generally has a master password for these very reasons, for people who've lost a password or didn't even know one existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom