HAPPY, HAPPY 95%

I have the same case, but in black, as well as the same keyboard, and heatsink for my CPU...

Don't try wobbling that cooler, it's heavy and can actually crack that motherboard, so be gentle if you ever move the case. It does feel like isn't mounting properly on my board, but I do they them fully snugged down. Overtime those springs will "soften", so having it fully tightened is best to help keep the pressure high.

I actually did a review of my own on the Hyper 212 a few years ago... Image links are broken now though... http://www.techist.com/forums/f127/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-updated-258091/

Very happy for you and your son. It warms my heart to see that you not only got him a great rig but worked on building it together. Many people today think that computers are these magic boxes that they can't understand. I like seeing people take the time to enjoy how great computers can be, and also learn how they work and go together.

it defintly had its frustrations, but i am glad we did it together as well. i was a mechanic before i destroyed my back. and i have been inside of several computers before of upgrades. but never anything close to this. he wants to do something with computers as his career. which is great. we both brought skills to the table (most of which i didn't know he even had) and it turned out well. this will give him experience to build off from, and learn from. he doesn't know i have peeked over his shoulders several times when he didn't know i was there. but besides playing games, he is learning how to make new software work at a rapid pace. i guess i was that way with motorcycles. its easy to tell he loves technology, which in itself will take him far. i know that i have to step back and let him grow. so i am. /// as to the cooler, what do you guys think, check the tension often, and let it be unless it loosens? with as much air moves thru that case, i figured a once a month internal cleaning time frame would be about right. check the screws evey time we clean it, and unless something changes, let it be?

Once I get done with a build, I hate poking around again, I feel like I will probably break something(has happened twice) and then I'm like...I wish I just left it all alone while things were working.

I would make sure they are fairly snug honestly. If you have a dusty house like I do, your going to be wanting to take an air compressor to the front to blast the dust out that gets sandwiched into the front intake (there's an annoying mesh like filter in the front that isn't meant to be removed, it traps a lot, but clogs up easily, I ended up removing it). Tried the canned air, just not enough in one those for how much dust can build up.

i have a big air compressor, and a double tank portable tank that i plan to blow things clean. i learned about cleaning computers at one of the m/c shops i worked at 15-18 years ago. they would actually unhook one pc at a time, and bring them back to the shop to use compressed air to clean them. i was amazed at how much dust would accumulate over the course of 6 months. a large part of that is the wonderful forced air heating / cooling most homes and businesses have in Michigan.

Be super careful when using an air compressor because high PSI can blow a cap right off. Done it before, and that's why I strictly use my shop vac with the cleaning kit that came with it.

Back
Top Bottom