Is it time for some upgrades?

XGC Forsakend

Student & Lover of Games
Hey guys, been a while.
It's been about two years since I got assistance from here and built my PC. Until recently, I started to notice my system having issues such as FPS spike/drops and starting to need 'low' settings on the newer games.

Aside from needing lower settings in the newer games, how can you tell when an upgrade is due? A game I have been playing nearly religiously (Payday 2) has started giving me FPS issues. Is that a sign or am I just creating excuses to upgrade?

Here are my current specs:
i-5 3570k
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K - Newegg.com

GTX 660
Patriot Viper 8 GB Ram (2x4; 16 GB Total)
Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PV38G160C9K - Newegg.com
ASRock z75 Pro3 LGA 1155
ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
CORSAIR tx650 650w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

Considering the GTX 770, but unsure if I should just go all out and get a 970.
That's if I don't need any other parts. I plan on having roughly $500 to upgrade within the month, can be flexible if something is needed.
Since my PC is on the majority of the time, wondering if my PSU may need replacing as well. Any way I can test how much life it has left?

That system has plenty of life left in it, Get the 970. I have the same PS and it's been going since 2009 ish and still works great. No way to see how much life left in them. But yours should have plenty left.

Hey guys, been a while.
It's been about two years since I got assistance from here and built my PC. Until recently, I started to notice my system having issues such as FPS spike/drops and starting to need 'low' settings on the newer games.

Aside from needing lower settings in the newer games, how can you tell when an upgrade is due? A game I have been playing nearly religiously (Payday 2) has started giving me FPS issues. Is that a sign or am I just creating excuses to upgrade?

the FPS drops, is that on games that you played before? or new games? payday 2 ran fine before?

if old games ran fine previously, but just started to give you problems, I'd probably defrag/optimize your computer. check temperatures to make sure nothing is throttling.

but if the games are new games, lower fps is expected. card is 2 gen old now.

the FPS drops, is that on games that you played before? or new games? payday 2 ran fine before?

if old games ran fine previously, but just started to give you problems, I'd probably defrag/optimize your computer. check temperatures to make sure nothing is throttling.

but if the games are new games, lower fps is expected. card is 2 gen old now.
It is an older game which I have been playing pretty consistently. I won't lie and say that certain maps do have performance issues yet a buddy with lower specs doesn't seem to suffer from them.

temperatures are at about the norm, nothing alarming. Newer games are of course are dropped to lower settings to compensate and can understand them having FPS drops.

Believe I have set the Defrag schedule up for once a month or so. Will ensure it defrags tonight to rule that out. Won't hurt to check.

Will also re-paste the CPU when I pick up the GPU. wasn't aware the GPU needed repasting as well... gonna Google a video for that.

It is an older game which I have been playing pretty consistently. I won't lie and say that certain maps do have performance issues yet a buddy with lower specs doesn't seem to suffer from them.

temperatures are at about the norm, nothing alarming. Newer games are of course are dropped to lower settings to compensate and can understand them having FPS drops.

Believe I have set the Defrag schedule up for once a month or so. Will ensure it defrags tonight to rule that out. Won't hurt to check.

Will also re-paste the CPU when I pick up the GPU. wasn't aware the GPU needed repasting as well... gonna Google a video for that.

I never had any performance issues on either of the mobile chips I've had :p (570m and now a 770m).

Honestly it's probably partially the game...I've had to reinstall Payday 2 at least twice because of issues I've had with it (mostly issues during updates). IMO, delete it and reinstall it.

Honestly it's probably partially the game...I've had to reinstall Payday 2 at least twice because of issues I've had with it (mostly issues during updates). IMO, delete it and reinstall it.

Yea, it probably is but I did plan on upgrading this year... so may just do it now.

Was in the process of buying thru amazon (only because I have a CC there) and noticed there was a FTW version (EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 FTW). Bit of searching revealed higher clock and boost speeds, wondering if there was anything else different considering the GPU seemed more open. Better air flow maybe? If not, why the hell is it $100 more?

Otherwise, I was going to stick with the $100 cheaper version (via amazon) without the additional boost/clock speeds. Kinda funny that the same FTW card is $100 cheaper on new egg. Wish New egg had a CC.

Link to amazon with different card versions:
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-...8-1&keywords=EVGA+04G-2978-KR+GeForce+GTX+970

Edit:
Missed the Reference card as an option for roughly the same price, should I get that one instead? Hmm....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom