HAPPY, HAPPY 95%

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
Well, we got my sons new home built computer up and running this afternoon. i am going to be paying for it for a long time to come, but the smile on his face is worth it! shoot, i was going to post the photo, but i cant just attach it like i can in an e-mail. anyway, its a Rosewill Thor case (white), an ASUS Z97A m.b., Gigabyte GTX970 G.C., Intel I-7 4790k, and a cooler master 212 cooler, which gave us fits! it was the worst part of the build. its in, but i do not think quite correct. we had a terrible time with the cross arms. they fit poorly in my opinion, and we did not feel comfortable tightening the screws all the way down. i made sure several times (we actually stopped, and removed the motherboard to try to get it better) that the "alignment pins" were seated correctly. which they are. but the arms, especially to top one has a definite bow in it with the mounting screws tightened about 1/2 way down. it felt like so much pressure that i was afraid of breaking the motherboard if we tightened them any further. we tried fitting it 4 times to see if we were doing something wrong. looked at several you tube videos, but still could not figure out what is wrong. we could not see bowing of the arms on any other video, but they did not show the angle we could look at either. anyone else have issues installing this cooler???

MNIaX3u.jpg
or maybe

he's beyond happy! he can hardly sleep, doesn't want to eat, even his sister can't bother him unless she blocks off his view of the screen. he is obsessed with it! and i am happy for him. it was a long time coming, and it was very expensive.

That's epic :tongue: A computer will serve him far better than a console too.

About your original issue.. The heat sink is supposed to be quite a tight fit. I remember installing my brothers CM212 cooler. It was snug :tongue: But it's probably one of the best coolers for the price.

awww this is so sweet :)
Your/his specs are similar to mine and yes that cooler was so annoying to get on but it was totally worth it in the end.

yes, that was the first video we watched, prior to trying to install it. it looks so easy, which is part of our concern. i did a dry run, and everything lined up, and the screws started. the same thing when we went to actually install it, but once we started tightening the screws, it got pretty tough, and felt like something was wrong. as a mechanic, i learned on small screws to always turn them the opposite way until i felt the threads line up before starting to tighten them. and i do know the feel of cross threaded screws. that is not the case. its like the mounting block is way to thick or the processor is. everything functions fine the way it is. he has been playing games almost non stop for 2 days and counting, and the highest temp he has had was 35 degrees Celsius. so there is good contact between the processor and the cooler, and the thermal paste is doing its job. the screws being spring loaded seems to be keeping it in place very well. and i actually tried, although not real hard, to wiggle it to see if it would move, wobble, or teeter, and it does none of that. i am just afraid to tighten the screws until they stop because there was so much tension.

Back
Top Bottom