How to identify MB SATA port to which system drive is connected

prosthotoothist

Baseband Member
Hello all,

I am about to order a Samsung EVO 850 1TB SSD to replace my current system HDD drive. I plan to migrate everything on the "C" partition of the HDD to the SSD using the Samsung migration software. My problem in carrying out this change is that my computer has 4 internal HDDs and since it is difficult, if not impossible, to see the information on top of the drives, I don't know which of the 4 drives is the system drive. Does anyone know how I can find out (without taking anything apart) which drive is connected to each of the SATA ports on the motherboard? Using the MB manual, I can identify each of the ports on the MB and then follow the cable to its connection with the HDD. My MB is an ASUS P6T Deluxe and I have the 4 drives connected to SATA1-SATA4 ports.

I also have a Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station into which I will place the new SSD to do the migration procedure. So, when this is completed, I will remove the current system HDD and replace it with the SSD; however, I want to be totally sure of which drive to remove so that I don't mess up anything that is now working properly. I am just a little bit nervous about making this change, so any kind of information and help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Start -> right click 'Computer' -> click Manage -> go to Disk Management on the left-panel -> Find the disk that has your C: partition on it.

It should say the size of the disk under where it says "Disk #". You can find the drive's model # by right clicking the title under "Disk #" and clicking Properties and then on the general tab that pops up, it will show your drive's model #. The "Disk #" should indicate what SATA port the drive is plugged into.

Hi carnage,

Thanks for your reply and information. I have tried what you suggested, but have never seen any information about the port connections of the drives. I have created an album titled Disk management pictures and included a photo showing the list of drives and partitions and another showing the properties of the 4 drives. However, as you can see in the pictures, the list of drives starts with "0" instead of "1". Does this mean that drive "0" would be connected to the SATA1 port and drive "1" to the SATA2 port and so on? I am still a bit confused by the apparent lack of consistent terminology and configuration of things. Any thoughts of what I should do now?

Thanks,

Tom

Take note of the drive model and then go into BIOS and you can look to see what port it's on through the drive selection menu.

I saw your photos.

My suggestion still stands as is. Get the model of Disk 1, reboot into BIOS and see what port it plugged into by looking at the location that way.

A clean install would be in your best interest. You have enough disks and partitions to back up your data/drivers on to. You should disconnect all the drives except for the SSD and install windows onto that.
Nothing feels better than a fresh clean install first thing in the morning!
(you'll be happy that you did)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom