Will this work?

Getoffmycat

Solid State Member
Before I say anything else, I am very new to building a computer. Ive never built one in my life. I am curious if the setup I have to far will work! I am trying to look for pretty cheap but good options for parts. So far I have a case, processor, and GPU in mind. I need ideas for the motherboard especially. I dont know how to tell if everything would work correctly, so if something would be incompatible, could you tell me?

So far I have

GPU: Nvidia GTX 760
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770k
Case: NZXT Phantom 240 Mid Tower
Ram:
Motherboard:
Hard-Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
Power Supply:
DVD Drive:
Operating System: Windows 7 64 Bit
Monitor:

Would there be anything else I need? Also what is thermal compound and Heatsink? Are these required for my setup? Please tell me if there is anything wrong with this so far and what items I should use for the unfilled spaces! Thank you all so much!

Before I say anything else, I am very new to building a computer. Ive never built one in my life. I am curious if the setup I have to far will work! I am trying to look for pretty cheap but good options for parts. So far I have a case, processor, and GPU in mind. I need ideas for the motherboard especially. I dont know how to tell if everything would work correctly, so if something would be incompatible, could you tell me?

So far I have

GPU: Nvidia GTX 760
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770k
Case: NZXT Phantom 240 Mid Tower
Ram:
Motherboard:
Hard-Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
Power Supply:
DVD Drive:
Operating System: Windows 7 64 Bit
Monitor:

Would there be anything else I need? Also what is thermal compound and Heatsink? Are these required for my setup? Please tell me if there is anything wrong with this so far and what items I should use for the unfilled spaces! Thank you all so much!

I'm not the resident expert but i know when they come on they will ask the following:

What do you plan to use the computer for? And what is your budget?

Only difference from the I5 to I7 is hyper-threading which games don't use. So the equivalent I7 to I5 with perform the same in gaming but the I5 is $100 cheaper. The 3770K is also a older I7 being the ivy bridge. The newer is the haswell bridge which is the current generation.

I just build a new gaming PC around an i5 4690K and i could not be happier. Trust me, take the money you can save from the i7 that you don't need and put it towards a better GPU. Also, if you give us an idea of your budget it would be easier to make recommendations on parts.

Only difference from the I5 to I7 is hyper-threading which games don't use. So the equivalent I7 to I5 with perform the same in gaming but the I5 is $100 cheaper. The 3770K is also a older I7 being the ivy bridge. The newer is the haswell bridge which is the current generation.
No bridge, just Haswell. :lol:

OP, I made a guide explaining why HT or more cores isn't the answer. To add to the previous post, a budget would be appreciated and also you specified a monitor slot. Is the monitor included in the budget?

Back
Top Bottom