New pc build gone wrong?

HunterStuck

Baseband Member
So yesterday while building my new pc my dad dropped the flashlight we were using on the motherboard... twice.. no cracking or anything just dropped it on there. also he was using a magnetic screwdriver.. any way to tell if the pc will work (we forgot to buy the ram so we have to go buy that today and we cant boot it up). Thanks

Man i cringed hard when reading this... im so sorry for your luck man.

Magnets CAN be like a hammer to HDDs if the magnet got close to where the servo track is inside the drive.. it can also just erase the contents of the drive.

The flashlight on the MOBO might have hit a capacitor or something just make sure the area that it was dropped doesnt have any crooked capacitors if so make sure its still secure.
repaired-bent-P1010007.jpg

i havent tested it yet so dont be sad, no cracks and my dad (thankfully) didnt use the magnetic screwdriver on the HDD so there is still hope. i was asking if there was a way to test to find out of it worked without the ram that i forgot.

If you have everything but RAM just plug it all in and fire it up. If all goes well you should hear 1 long beep and 3 short beeps from the pc speaker indicating you have no RAM installed.

"Worry - but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum" lol funny quote

Im not sure of any way to test it without RAM - if you tried powering up the PC without RAM you would just get some BIOS error and the test would likely not yield any useful information.

Be sure to use an anti-static mat, anti-static wrist strap or ground yourself on the PSU before touching any of the internal components but I hope that goes without saying :p

"Worry - but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum" lol funny quote

Im not sure of any way to test it without RAM - if you tried powering up the PC without RAM you would just get some BIOS error and the test would likely not yield any useful information.

Be sure to use an anti-static mat, anti-static wrist strap or ground yourself on the PSU before touching any of the internal components but I hope that goes without saying :p
Read above, it will tell him his PC is trying to boot normally and that the only thing left out is what is causing a post error.

Back
Top Bottom