Installed new Hard Drives Questions?

flipp1234567

In Runtime
Hi guys,
I just installed a 3TB Seagate hard drive and a 500GB Saumsung 840EVO SSD to my existing windows 7 computer.
Both drives don't appear on the my computer screen but it recognizes that they are plugged in.

I have installed the Samsung Data transfer program but i can't just copy the OS and programs i want... Instead it's trying to copy over 900GB of data on my existing hard drive and all i can do is exclude media files. When i Exclude all the Media files, the amount of data transferred is still bigger than the SSD... Any good OS + Application transferring program?

And for the 3TB hard drive, i don't know how to actually use it...

Thanks guys :)

You'll need to format the 3TB drive in Disk Management as NTFS, and set it as GPT (instead of MBR) type, since it's larger than 2TB. Assuming Windows 7...
Start -> right click 'Computer' -> Manage... -> click Disk Management in the left-panel -> Find your 3TB drive and right click -> Create new volume (or w/e the option is...can't remember off hand).

Then move all your large files/media onto your 3TB drive manually.

If you still have more space than the SSD can take, then uninstall some large programs or delete some things you don't need until it's smaller than the SSD. Then you should be able to clone it over.

Would it be new Spanned, Striped, or Mirrored? I'd assume not mirrored but i could be wrong....

And i don't want to uninstall large programs because I'm home now (not in college)... my internet speed downlaods are 1mbps which is 1/10 that of college :(
Is there anyway to just transfer OS and select applications?

Would it be new Spanned, Striped, or Mirrored? I'd assume not mirrored but i could be wrong....
Should be an option for "Simple" which is what you want.

More info on each: Differences between Hard disk partition Types | Tim Tech Support
And i don't want to uninstall large programs because I'm home now (not in college)... my internet speed downlaods are 1mbps which is 1/10 that of college :(
Is there anyway to just transfer OS and select applications?

No. It's either everything or nothing when cloning. You'll need to either move large files or uninstall large programs (Steam games you don't play/haven't played in a while?) and then you can clone once it's smaller than the new SSD.

I don't have option for "Simple"

and ok. thanks.

Just use GParted then: GParted -- A free application for graphically managing disk device partitions

Burn the ISO to a CD and boot off of it. There you can create a GPT volume and then create an NTFS partition(s).

Can't stress this enough: MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE CORRECT HARD DRIVE IN THE DROP DOWN BOX ON THE TOP-RIGHT CORNER OF THE GPARTED SCREEN!!!

Friend of mine didn't do that, and borked up his partition table on his server. Managed to get it back up and running without data loss, but it could have been worse. So make sure you select your 3TB volume in the dropdown. Better yet... totally disconnect ALL hard drives besides the 3TB so you don't accidentally pick the wrong one.

So i didn't use GParted yet. but I have cloned the drive onto my SSD. Is there a way to check if I'm booting from the SSD outside of the BIOS?

1) Unplug your other other HDD and only have your SSD plugged in. If it boots, you're on your SSD :p.
2) If you're already in Windows, your C: drive in Computer should be your SSD.

Sorry not really checking back regularly. Anyway, My former C drive is still in the COmputer screen, and it now shows my SSD as well... what should i do now? i'm at a bit of a loss as to waht i should do. I also have a random 100mb ssd partition that i didn't do...

here's an SS
http://puu.sh/dJ6oB/5b6f5e63fe.png

Sorry not really checking back regularly. Anyway, My former C drive is still in the COmputer screen, and it now shows my SSD as well... what should i do now? i'm at a bit of a loss as to waht i should do. I also have a random 100mb ssd partition that i didn't do...

here's an SS
http://puu.sh/dJ6oB/5b6f5e63fe.png

Post a pic of the Disk Management screen.

You're still booting off of your 1TB. Your 512GB SSD isn't being booted off of. The 100MB partition is usually automatically created, which contains the boot sector info for the drive.

Back
Top Bottom