Server-Client solution

alexfenchel

Solid State Member
Hello everyone, I'm new in here and I would like to share with you and idea I am working on.

Lately I decided that, instead of getting a new laptop, it would be better to buy a desktop PC and to access it with some cheap laptop, having way more performance. I describe the idea more accurate in my blog "forthesakeoftechnology" in wordpress.

What I wanted to ask you here, does any of you have built something similar? I would like to collect as much info as I can. I have problems finding a cheap laptops that fit in what I want (something not so big and with a nice design)

Thanks!

Why would you access a desktop with pc? If you are trying to access a desktop with laptop all you need to do is remote in to the desktop. You can find remote software for free on google, or you can buy it, or code your own.

Hello fireintheit, thanks for your answer.

First of all, the desktop would work as a server and a laptop the client. Have you tried to access remotely a PC? I have used different software (Teamviewer, VNC, PCAnywhere, Windows Remote Desktop). The all have something in common: it is pretty obvious for the user that he is using a remote connection. The video quality is not the best and it always has a small delay. I would like to be able to play videogames fullHD in a remote way. Something like broadcasting my desktop using Google's Chormecast and having a remote keyboard and mouse. Chromecast has also a delay, but there are some alternatives. I'm working on my own solution, that's why I need as much help as I could get.

Thanks for your reply PP Mguire.

I know about Steam. Actually it would be the answer if it weren't limited to Steam's games, and also if it could allow desktop mirroring. It would be perfect if I could just stream my audio and video from my PC. Like that I could use a laptop with a basic hardware, maybe even with a passive cooling :D, having the power of the desktop

If you got cash remote VM is your answer, but if you had the cash then just go buy a gaming laptop and call it a day man. You have only a few options, remote desktop, remote VM, buy a Shield, or Steam stream.

Back
Top Bottom