Looking to upgrade

I wouldn't call it P2W, the only benefit you really get from spending money on the game, is not having to actually play the game to get new mechs and equipment, other than that it's just cosmetic stuff, nothing that actually give you an advantage in a match, only things to save you time.

I agree that the matchmaking isn't all that fantastic, it would be nice if it paired you up against players of equal skill, or at least a queue that you can only use for your first 50-100 matches or something like that, would let new players get a handle on things before facing off against everyone else.

I agree with the single-player idea, having some form of solo/co-op "campaign" mode would've been sweet. Something that would touch the lore of the older Mechwarrior games more, to sort of re-cover the story of the past games and add new bits to it as well, would be freakin' sweet. Maybe even a separate campaign for each faction, allowing you to play on the side of whatever faction you've given your loyalty to, or as a merc if you aren't with any of the factions - but I think that would be wayyy to much to expect from PGI lol.

I highly disagree. It takes a really long time to get enough credits just to simply buy a mech, then that comes empty and it takes just as long to buy decent equipment to be relevant on the field. It makes it extremely discouraging that when you die you're dead. All that wait and loading for nothing, and if you're using trial mechs that's pretty much guaranteed for the first 20 or so missions you do just to remotely get used to the game.

Start paying real money and you can start out pretty decently. What also sucks is light engines cost a retarded amount of money. I stopped playing because it was taking far too long just to get enough money to buy a mech and an XL engine. If you go regular it takes up half your tonnage (or more if you go light). Even then, I see diehards complain about getting owned because their hard work gets outdone by a paid for clanner.

After all the controversy over PGI, I think asking for a decent game is too much.

I understand why you left, but with the cadet bonus they have now, you can literally buy any mech purchasable with c-bills once the bonus ends, so you still have to start off with trials, but after playing those matches my brother told me how happy he was to finally have a mech of his own. If you don't purchase an assault like he did you should be able to start upgrades on the mech immediately, but you still have to play a good number of games before you can afford another mech and further/more expensive upgrades.

The way I do things, buying and building a mech is 75% of the fun to the game, and when i'm done upgrading I usually buy another mech to build up and start playing that until shortly after it's finished being built. So for me having to grind out the money isn't a real issue, as it feels more legitimate to being paid a soldiers wage in war, and it keeps me from running out of mechbays too quickly :p Other people that like to do that may find it difficult, because you do have to pay real money for extra bays, and that is more than a tad annoying for people who can't/won't spend actual money on the game.

One thing I have to say is that the prices for the mechs if you buy them with real money are ridiculous; paying close to - if not exactly - $50 for a Boar's Head is just nuts, but people are willing to pay it so power to em lol. So even if you do decide to dump money into the game to get a quicker start on things, it can cost quite a bit.

The clan mechs were extremely OP when they first put them in the game, but they got knocked down to everyone else's level a while ago, and hopefully that level of OP'ness will not be seen again in the future.

PGI are straight up money grabbing tools in most cases, but I find the game enjoyable myself, even if there are a great many improvements that could be made, and I agree it is hard to really get a good grip of the game at first. At present I have 15 mechs, all but 5 bought with the in-game currency; the 3 I paid real cash for were the Timber Wolf chassis' bought in a singular package, the other 2 being gift mechs for buying the Timber Wolfs. Other than that I only buy mechbays, which I still have another 5 to fill lol. (they were on sale so I bought a bunch of them while they were cheaper)

Not every person likes every game, but I can definitely understand why so many hate this one. I still enjoy playing MWO myself, but I hope the Mechwarrior franchise will make a proper comeback with games more to the old, campaign based gameplay, with multiplayer as a side-dish.

Last edited:
Most like myself who are pretty diehard Mechwarrior fans hate the fact that they ruined the game with the P2W ********. You can defend it how you want, but it is what it is. I played as recently as the beginning of last month and what I was making each round wasn't much. I bought a medium mech that was 3 million or so bills and the engine I want is an XL which is another 2 or 3 mil. Then add that on top of trial and error and you'll be spending days playing matches JUST to get a decent setup on your first mech. I don't have that kind of time at all, and most of the older fuddy duddies that got into the game back in the day like myself don't either. I think it would be way more fun to have the MP like it was before, but they want money so that won't ever happen.

Well, MWO's BS levels aside, I tried the Windows 7 activation code from the sticker that was used with my computer from factory, just for the giggles, and... It worked. I am unsure why it worked, as I thought they were locked to the factory MOBO that is installed in a computer, but I'm not going to complain lol. My idea to randomly try the code, just to say I actually tested if it would work before buying a new copy, ended up saving me $100.

So I guess this thread about upgrading my build has officially completed it's duty, and I want to thank everyone who posted in the thread to offer advice again, especially PP Mguire for actually giving me the list of parts to put together, and helping me with adjustments along the way.

I look forward to participating in the community here with all of you in the future!

Haha where would I find the thread? I couldn't find what I would think to be the right one in my initial search, but I would love to talk MWO with you, or any game for that matter.

Well, I can't find a thread started by you for MWO, but I found a couple of yours for some of the older Mechwarrior games. The only MWO thread I found that isn't closed was started by Trotter back in 2012, so I guess that would be the best place to talk unless we start a new thread lol.

Back
Top Bottom