Stupid idea for Windows on Acer C720 Chromebook?

CommanderLiamTHX

In Runtime
I found this guide:this for the CR-48 on installing Windows 7, and I was wondering if it could allow Windows to install normally on the Acer C720, since SeaBIOS seems to be the reason the drivers don't work well. Does anyone have any idea about this, or would it just not be able to install?

Yes, but the person in that tutorial used SeaBIOS, whilst Insyde H2O was used in the link I posted, and it seemed that everything worked out of the box for them, let alone a couple tweaks to make things more optimized for the chromebook.

The different BIOS is to change BIOS settings - that's not going to matter with missing drivers. Plus, like you said, that's for a CR-48 - not a C720. I don't know how similar they are, but I wouldn't really risk flashing a BIOS that's not specifically meant for your hardware..otherwise you'll just end up with a nice looking paperweight.

According to the link I posted the following doesn't work:

Keyboard and Trackpad do not work.
Sound does not work.
Video Accelaration does not work.
Power Management does not work.

If you can find drivers for the C720, then by all means go for it. Last activity that was in the thread I linked to was a month or so ago, and they still didn't have all the drivers for it, because apparently none were made for Windows.

I tested Windows 7 on my C720 here a while ago. I was able to get Sound and Video Acceleration to work (Video Acceleration is a bit hacky but it works). However, I wasn't able to get the Keyboard, Trackpad or Power Management to work.

Back
Top Bottom