Building a Beowulf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to have you :D I don't know if you looked over the ABIT forums or not but every Sunday a post is made with a list of all the new members. Keep in mind that the names here are after there first work unit is sent in (that's when the name apears on our member list) So as soon as your name comes up I'll put a special note in there for you. If anyone else would like to help out with this project be sure to let me know. If these forums decide to start a team you can always change your team designation in the future.

Also something to keep in mind, Folding uses the lowest priority so it will never interfear with anything you want to do on your computer.

Josh

A beowulf is a group of networked computers using linux (I will be using W2KPro) and it splits the processing burden amongst all the computers, allowing for a very fast "system". That is in a nut shell basically. I am at school so I will respond to more posts later. And yes that dual processor machine would help alot, may even be the main node (head pc in the cluster). I am doing folding at home on my pc at home. I want to start a team for here as well.

Okay that was painless, I made a Tech-Forums team and our number is 41271. Put that as your team and please download the program. I have a question as to is there a way to get the program to run when when you tell it to. My desk moves alot and causes it to go out of screensaver mode.

Sh0r_ty said:
Hey just wondering if a duel mobo with 2 pentium 3's would be any help. can oc to 2ghz if u want it i might be able to give it to u

This is stuff that will fit into a Baby AT case right? ATX may be harder to come buy. Looks aren't a concern, and I'm learning about failover right now (not at school, reading a book about it; if one computer fails it passes it on to the next computer).

The version I use is the console version and this you can pick and choose when to have it running but i leave mine on all the time. With the newest consol version you can run it as a service so it is pretty much invisable to anyone using the computer. I have some older ATX boards laying around that I was going to put on E-bay but if you can use them you can have them. I'll have to dig them out to wee what they are.

Josh

intercodes said:
Josh18657,

Ive put up your team number. I cant create a team and add up users, i think ill help your team ;) ...my user name is intercodes.
Thanks ya

To change team number if you are using consol version go into the folder you made for folding and delete the client.cfg file, this way you will do all the initial setup stuff again and put a different team name. If you are using the graphical client I think there is simply an option to change teams. I truthfully don't know anyone using the screen saver version so i don't know how to do much of anything with that.

Josh

Yea I guess mine runs in the background as well... the screensaver just shows you it working.

Regulus said:
Ok, I understand a Beowulf. Is a "team" the people making it?

What do you mean by your last sentence? The teams and beowulf are different if thats what you mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom