cd writer getting detected in wrong name

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramesh

Baseband Member
Hi all

the cd writer i am using belongs to samsung company, it is getting detected in device manager as 'saosung cdrw' . and isn't reading any cds.

i am using nero burn 5 and that software detects only the image recorder and not the cd writer. the drive is getting detected in the bios as 'samsung cd-rw' but in the device manager alone it is showing another name.

sometimes the drive reads cds and the folder names in the cds are read as junk values.

i dont know whether this is some hardware or software problem associated with drivers. any help would be appreciated

thank you

i dont think it is a problem related to cables , the drive sometimes works and even burns cds, but this happens only after several times restarting the machine.

the drive is working as a slave

ramesh,

Few suggestions....

1) Get into safe mode, click view-> show hidden devices in device manager. Remove all the cd-rom/rw devices. Now reboot to normal mode and install your drivers for your cd-rom
2) Update your firmware if you can find one as 'major' suggested.
3) Check for the usual virii/spyware stuff...Download Hijackthis and post a log.
4) also check this link http://www.theeldergeek.com/restore_missing_cd_or_dvd_drive.htm

i changed the cable and set the cd writer to master. now on checking the device manager i found an exclamation mark (with yellow color) beside my "primary IDE controllers (single fifo)" and "secondary IDE controller (single fifo)", I went further to check the properties where I saw "This device is either not present, not working properly or does not have all the drivers installed. {Code 10.}. I don't know what to do to get this thing off.

ramesh,

What about the CD-ROM ,does it work now? Nero 5 is pretty old. Get newer version of nero. Did you try what ive posted before?

intercodes

the cd drive icon has disappeared from 'my computer' now. i did all you have posted earlier. i went to safe mode and removed the drivers and then only i got the primary and secondary IDE controller (single fifo) appearing with yellow marks in device manager.

Suggest me some way to remove that problem. my operating system is win98.
thank you

i am available in online chat in this id jr80_1112@yahoo.co.in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom