cpu upgrade ?

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
my son thinks i am crazy, that i just need to replace my aging desktop. but i can not get him a new gaming computer and replace mine at the same time. my computer has an Intel core duo E63001.86 Ghz processor, and i am thinking about changing to a Intel core duo E6850 3.00 Ghz processor. i can do so for under $20.00, i am thinking it will make quite a bit if difference, am i right? or is it like he says, a waste of time? also, they are both 65watt, so i am thinking that the same heat exchanger could be used. yes or no?

If your board will support the E6850 then I don't see any problems with doing that,going from a 1.86 to a 3.0 processor for $20. isn't a bad price for that much upgrade. It probably won't improve your gaming much. You'll need to look at your GPU for that
What brand name, model and revision number is your motherboard? If you have a store bought pc then your chances of up grading your cpu might be slim

Last edited:
it IS a store bought computer. a HP a1720n. the mother board is an asus p5lp-le, the specs are here....

it looks to me like it will work, but i am as much of a computer expert as your garbage man is a physicist.

It's very difficult to say if this upgrade will work. You will need to flash your bios first, and then try and see.
from the little bit of research I've done, it looks like the E6700 does work but I can't find anybody attempting to use an E 6850
cpu upgrade pavilion a1720n - HP Support Forum - 623019
the E6300 has a code name Wolfdale and the E6850 has a different code name Conroe, which could be an issue

If this is your only pc, then I can not recommend you "experiment" on this. Flashing your bios can brick (kill) your motherboard if something does not go right, and there's always a possibility of causing the board to fail just by handling it alone. Live with what you have and save up to get a new pc and then you can afford to experiment with this pc

Last edited:
They should both be Conroe, I know the E6300 is because it was the first batch of Intel's greatness being released. IIRC the E6850 is the non-xtreme newer version of the X6800. Wolfdale and Yorkfield are 45nm CPUs. (E8400 Q9550 ect)

Back
Top Bottom