Downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7

Andybone

Beta member
My son has a laptop with no cd/dvd player and is running windows 8 OS. It's a nightmare. It is running impossibly slow and wont even open any windows or go online or do anything really. If this were running Windows 7 or earlier I would be able to format it as he is willing to sacrifice his minecraft files in order for his machine to run properly.
I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction of how I could format his laptop and install an older version of windows on it so we could use it . Truth be told he hasn't been able to use it properly since he got it for Xmas last year as he, or I, truth be told, haven't really got on with it from the start.

Can you supply the laptop brand and model number?

You need to make sure there are drivers for the devices in Win 7 before you just format it.

Also there is a tool from Microsoft Win7 usb tool. To put the ISO on a flash drive that is 4gb or larger. You need a license and the ISO.

You'll need to purchase a license for Win7. You can get an ISO from here:
[Legal Download: Windows 7 with SP1, 13 languages
As well as make sure drivers exist like bpm55 said. You'll also need to see if you can disable Secure Boot / UEFI in BIOS so that you can load a different OS on there.

Honestly, Win8 is just fine. Both my wife and I have been running it since it released.

I bet it's all the bloat that came preloaded from the manufacturer and/or has malware on it. I'd suggest running a scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware, and uninstalling any bloatware preinstalled on there that isn't needed to function.

Also, you can backup your son's Minecraft files. Just backup the entire %AppData%\.minecraft folder and everything should be there.

hmm...
First of all, you don't have to sacrifice anything, just copy the '.minecraft' folder on a backup usb or something and copy it back after the installation! To get to the .minecraft folder, in the start menu search: %appdata% and hit enter.

Second of all, I assume you already have a windows 7 product key ready. so, just download the win7 iso and follow these simple steps:

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING: Make sure you backup your drivers!!!

1) Get a usb stick ready that you don't mind getting formatted.
2) Download this program called Rufus, its for burning iso's onto usb's: Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way
3) Open rufus and burn the iso
4) Shut down your computer and when it gets to the bios, click f12, then tell it to boot from your usb. if f12 doesn't do anythong, try f2, if that doesnt work search online for what keys you are supposed to press.
5) By this time you should have got to the windows installation screen. Now just set your language, keyboard format and your region.
6) Just follow the on-screen instructions.
7) If you did everything correctly, you have a nice, clean, fast os!
8) Now to get minecraft back, type %appdata% in the start menu again, and paste the .minecraft folder there again from your usb. Then, go to the minecraft website and download the launcher!

but rufus claims to be the fastest out there and it is kinda more universal with different operating systems.

MS's USB Tool is nice for just simply creating a Windows USB from an ISO/disc tho ;).

The MS tool is good for people that are wanting to put Windows on to a USB. There is no reason to use another tool. The speed isn't a big deal.

The most important thing is for the OP to verify that his computer will support Windows 7 by checking if there are drivers for the operating system.

Last edited:
Have you upgraded to 8.1?

I would try a renew of win8/8.1 remove the garbage the factory put, then try it again.

This seems more of the typical "Kids" related slow down than a win8 issue.

Back
Top Bottom