Looking to upgrade

Alright, good news! My parents are buying my brother a new computer for Christmas, so I will be using my HP case and HDD for the new build, which saves me a good amount of money.

Right now i've got a cart on Newegg (all those sales on Amazon that made half the items cheaper were apparently a one-day-only thing), containing the items you linked for the build with the Intel processor, and with the GPU you linked in your last post. With a copy of Window 7 added on it totals $645.94 ($759.24 with shipping and taxes included), so it's pretty well right on budget to!

I was hoping to work out the cost to $700 with shipping and taxes included, but I have a paintball gun an old friend will buy from me at a moments notice that will cover the extra plus some. Considering that, I considered looking into a cooling unit as well, but I can save that for later if I end up wanting / needing it.

The last thing I can think to ask right now, is if there would be a way for me to swap in the new Mobo without having to format my HDD. I don't know if such a thing would be possible, but it would save me from having to buy a copy of Windows 7, as my PC already has it installed, and if a method exists you probably know about it. It would also bring the benefit of not having to reinstall all of my games and software, and I wouldn't have to worry about losing any of my files.

I'm excited to see this actually come together.

Last edited:
Hardware swap on Windows depends on the version, and then when you're talking pre-built copies the chances are even more slim.

Since you're doing a whole PC swap and changing vendors on your graphics it would be best to do a fresh copy regardless. You'll need that copy of Windows in case you crash later and need to reinstall.

Yeah I figured that would be the case, no way this would end up being THAT easy.

A guy in my AutoCAD course told me I could plug everything together and just straight up try to get it to boot, but I assume that would most likely end with catastrophe. That definitely sounds wayyyy to easy to be true.

I appreciate you answering all these newbie questions i've been asking man, you're like a fountain of knowledge.

Actually he's right. You can put it all together and try to boot. It'll either boot into Windows fine (and then install the appropriate drivers that it has), or it'll blue screen. If it does that, you need a copy of Windows.

If I were to install the Windows 7 SP1 ISO from the link on this site (Repair Install - Windows 7 Help Forums) onto a disk and use it as a repair install disk, do you think it would work without me having to format my HDD? It says on the site that it works more often than not, but with me changing so much do you think it would still work?

If there is a chance this would work, i'm going to go for it; as I have a good number of important files on my hard drive that I am afraid of losing - that, and saving $100 would be wonderful.

You can try. Another thing you can do is get yourself a flash drive and put your important smaller files on that. I would do this before doing anything and 64GB drives are rather cheap these days.

An alternative is, Windows 7 gives you a 30 day period before you need to activate. If forced, you can use this and it gives you a month to save up that 100.

I actually have a large number of 8GB flash drives I bought for school, so I will make copies of all my logins and important files on those before I do anything. I should look into getting a small external drive to have around anyway, so I may be able to backup some larger files as well if I end up getting one.

Would that 30 day "trial" come from that ISO I mentioned in the last post? Or would I download that from somewhere else and install it on a separate disk? If I decide not to order the copy of Windows 7, I could use that so I could get everything operational while I wait for a copy of Windows, in the case I end up having to format anyway. Also, if someone I know has a copy of Windows 7, would I be able to use their copy to do a clean install, or can they only be used on a single computer?

1. It's a good idea. I have had a small 2.5" external drive for years now holding important things.
2. Yes it would. Don't need to give quotes, it literally is an evaluation period lol.
3. Yup, that's what I was saying you could do in the last post.
4. Yes you could, or just download an ISO from the site and toss it on one of those flash drives you spoke of to use as a USB install drive.

Awesome, i'll set up a USB with the ISO to use if I have to do a clean install. Would that method eliminate the need to purchase a copy of Windows 7, or would I still need a product key to use it as a full install of the OS? If so, would I be able to use the key that I would have used when I first booted up my PC? (the one on a sticker on the side of my tower)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom